i received irs notice that i owe money from 2011

using turbo tax, i filed my taxes 1040a adn it was submitted. later in the day i realized that i didnt report my wifes 1099 earnings. i contacted turbo tax and i spent over 1 hour on the phone. they walked me through it and it was resubmitted. two seperate people there assured me that i would owe zero money, that the return would be modified and everything would be good. I asked the direct question on whether i would now owe because of the changes and they said no!
  • I am missing something here -- you are using desktop version, you filed electronically and then realized your error --- once the return is submitted, how could anybody pull it out of the transmit queue  , let you correct it and then tell you that you do not owe anything for a 1099-MISC --- TT could say correctly that any changes made  and re-filed ( if not yet transmitted to the IRS ) would not cost you any extra fees  for filing i.e. there are no TT associated costs.  A 1099-MISC almost always results in  SE taxes at 15.3 %(  for 2011 it is 13.3% ) of gross  plus federal and state taxes . Can you please provide more details  as to who advised you thus and the details of the situation ---  were you in a refund situation etc. -- no personal details please --PK
  • I submitted my federal tax using turbo tax desktop. it showed a refund of over 1000.00. then i realized that i did
    n,t include my wifes 1099. her income was 4600.00. i called turbo tax and explained the situation and they spent over an hour with me on the phone. they walked me through it and i resubmitted. i asked them if i would owe and they told me no, it would be adjusted. i thought the resp
    onse was odd. i called another rep at turbo tax and the told me the saMme thing!
  • i was in a refund situation before i resubmitted.
If your original efile was accepted and it was wrong then you can only fix it by filing an amended return.  An amended return can only be mailed not efiled.  What did Turbo Tax have you do?  Did you fill out a 1040X amended return?  What did they "walk you through"?  I don't see how they could say your refund didn't change.  Unless she has expenses to wipe out the income she owes additional self employment tax on it.

Bottom line is the IRS probably didn't get the 1099 reported on your tax return.  You have to MAIL the amended return.  Did you go through these steps?

Read this on how to amend a 2011 return….
  • You can't "resubmit" an e-filed return. If your first e-file is accepted, a second e-file will be rejected. So what exactly did you do?

    When you "submitted" you return the first time, did you e-file or did you mail it? If you e-filed, was the e-file accepted?

    When you "resubmitted" your return, did you e-file or did you mail it? If you e-filed, was it accepted or rejected? Was the return that you resubmitted Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040X? Did the return that you resubmitted show a refund or a payment due? How much?

    You said you realized your error "later in the day." Did you submit the first return, and then resubmit, all on the same day? Did you get the acceptance or rejection of the first return before you resubmitted?

    You said your wife had $4,600 of income on a 1099, but you didn't say what kind of 1099. Is it a 1099-MISC? If so, is the $4,600 in box 7 of the 1099-MISC?

    One other question. You said this is for 2011. You mean the return that you filed in 2012 showing the income you earned in 2011, is that right? It seems awfully quick for the IRS to have noticed that a 1099-MISC wasn't reported. What exactly did the IRS notice say about why you owe more money? Did it specifically say that your wife had 1099-MISC income that was omitted from your return?

    I agree with pk that the TurboTax people were probably telling you that you don't owe TurboTax any more money. They cannot have meant that you didn't owe the IRS any more money.
Contribute an answer

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.