What public retirement income is exempt from Georgia income tax?

The Turbotax "help" states: "Income that is received from a public pension or retirement fund, program or system may be specifically exempted under federal law or treaty. The income must have been otherwise included in federal adjusted gross income."

How do you determine if a specific public retirement income is exempt?
    If your pension is included in your Federal AGI, it is taxable in GA. I really cannot think of a case where a treaty or anything else would exempt Ga taxes.
    • I do not know if military retirement pay is included in this Turbo-Tax definition. TurboTax automatically checked the box next to this definition regarding my military retirement pay.  The next question on TurboTax asked if this retirment income was from a Qualified or Non-Qualified plan and gave an example of "Military Retirment Pay" as a type of Non-Qualified plan.  I'm confused.  Is military retirment pay taxable for GA state tax purposes?
    • This is the hardest question to get the answer to. If the answer is no, I owe 1k to GA, and I have never owed, I always get a refund.

The answer is  that all pensions are taxable in Georgia. The only way for a pension income to be excluded is by way of the retirement exclusion which you have probably read many times in the posts. All public pensions are taxable in Georgia.