married file jointly or separately

I am using turbo tax 2011 and if I file married filing seperatly, both me and my wife get a refund. I f I select married filing jointly we owe taxes. my question is de we include each others income on the tax forms? Is it better for us to file seperatly?
    You can't just change the filing status to compare married filing jointly and married filing separately. You must complete two totally separate married filing separately tax returns and compare the total on both those returns to the amount on the single married filing jointly tax return to determine which filing status is better.

It is almost always better to file married filing jointly. On married filing separtely tax returns the tax rate is higher, you are not allowed most credits, and you both must either itemize deductions or take the standard deduction plus you must pay for two separate accounts to prepare both separate returns.
    • Even after paying fees we get a better return when filing married separately
    That is very unusual.
    • Same here I did taxes both ways if i file jointly we owe $237. If we file seperate we get back a total of $894
    • Maybe it has to do with the tax bracket you end up in when you file jointly and separately........ maybe when you file sep. the tax bracket requires you to pay less tax than joint??? Therefore you get money back......not sure....

If the lower-earning spouse has big medical expenses: By filing as married filing separately, the adjusted-gross-income threshold would be lower, permitting a larger deduction for the medical expenses of the lower-earning spouse. That might also be true if the lower-earning spouse has certain other types of deductions. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304360704579419251096580502