What is the cost or adjusted basis in the donated property?

During my TurboTax (TT) federal review, I get an error message on the Schedule A (non cash contributions worksheet) that wants me to input " the cost or adjusted basis in the donated property".  I have no idea what to put here.  I made a donation of several hundred items on one day that totaled over $5000 and inputed these items into It's Deductible (ID).  When I finished, I imported my donations from ID to  TT. I have used ID in past years and never encountered this error message before.  Help!!
    This probably too late to help you, but it was probably because of the total being over $5000.  There is more information required of large donation amounts, and you would need to  at least estimate what the items cost you when you acquired them.
    • Thanks for your reply, msthrifty. The big problem was that, when prompted to enter the cost basis info during my error review, TT did not offer me any guidance as to what I needed to input or how to figure it out.  A definition or general computation formula would have saved me a lot of headache. I spent a huge amount of time trying to figure out what was going on; researching answers and Live Community, Internet and irs.gov. It was frustrating and tiring, especially as the time to file got closer and closer. :)

You are right about extra documentation needed for donations totaling over $5000 but my understanding is that that amount is for "like items" or items of a similar type or category. Part of the issue is that TT lumped all of my household goods/clothing/book donations into one huge category, which totaled over $5000. I could not separate them out or change the category into which It's Deductible put the items. Had there been a separate total for household goods (which I think of as things such as small appliances, toys and other houshold knick knacks) and one for clothing and one for books, I would have been fine and below the $5K "trigger".  The IRS may have looked at my return with a bit more scrutiny, but I would have been following the rules and would have had documentation to back me up.  As it turns out, I just didn't include a lot of items on my return, thereby keeping the total below $5000,  just so that TT would let me finish the return.  Needless to sat, that ended up losing me several hundred in deductions.  Not happy about that at all!
    • Interesting that is it now 3 years later and I am having the same problem.  Obviously not something high on their priority list to correct.
    • apparently you only need to estimate an amount of what it originally cost you because it went away when I put in approximately 4x the donated value (I probably undervalued my original costs but at least it went away!)