both of my refunds were deposited into the wrong account. What should/can I do?

Did the account belong to an unrelated third party?  Are you sure that account has already received the funds?     Did the funds go to the correct bank, or is the bank wrong, too?

If the wrong person has received your refunds, you should notify the IRS and your state taxing agency, but they may tell you there is nothing they can do.   And you should obviously notify the bank where the wrong account is, and ask them to help get it back for you.  Your next step after that would depend on whether that was successful or not.

If, however, the wrong account has not yet received the deposit, then you should hope for the deposit to fail and be rejected by the bank, in which case it would bounce back to the IRS, and they would mail you a paper check.   You should still notify the IRS and state taxing agency in that case, too.

Also read this help article:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Direct-Deposit/Enter-the-Wrong-Direct-Deposit-Information-/GEN12276.html
    • I was able to notify my state about the error.  They said if rejected it could take 6-8 weeks for them to receive the money and then issue a paper check.

As for my federal refund, when I contacted my bank by phone (branch not open yet) the women said there was nothing she could do and I needed to contact TT.  I will be going to my bank once it opens.

If the refund is rejected, does it go back to the IRS or SSBT who processed my refund minus fees?  If it was deposited into someone else's account what are my chances the bank will resolve the situation?  What if that person spent the money???

thanks for any help
    • When did you efile and what is the status of your refunds?  You originally said they had been deposited into the wrong account.   If they have not been received by SBTPG yet, you can have them correct the account there before they send it on.

TT says:  "If you used Refund Transfer and your return was accepted, you might still have time to correct your bank account information. Sign in to the Santa Barbara Tax Products Group website, and then click Online Account Change Request on the left."  

The link to SBTPG is given in the help article at the link in my first answer above.  Look at the blue "tip" at the bottom of that help article.

I don't know how all its handled if it's returned to SBTPG.  You'll have to ask them that.  I *presume* that SBTPG would mail you a check.

When you talk to your bank, ask them if they can "flag" that wrong account somehow so that the funds would be rejected due to a name mismatch.  It's also possible that the mistyped account number isn't even a real account number at the bank; i.e., it *may* not belong to anyone.   Some banks might reject it if the name doesn't match.

If it is actually deposited in the wrong person's account, it will become more difficult.  You'd like to think that most people are honest and would do the right thing.  Your bank might be able to assist you with that.  Otherwise you might have to investigate legal options to get it.

I don't work for TurboTax.  If you have any questions from a TT standpoint, you need to talk to their Customer Support by phone or chat.

********************************************************
      This is how you talk to Customer Service in Chat or Phone.
      There are at least 4 departments, depending on the type of question you have--billing, software, tax issue, etc.
      Here's how you get routed to the correct one to speak to a representative by Phone or Chat.
      Read all the steps before going to the link at the end of this message.

You will first arrive at a page that says CONTACT US.

You MUST choose a topic on the LEFT (choose one close to your problem), then a topic on the RIGHT to get the page to expand and make the contact boxes appear. That routes you to the correct support department. If you don't choose something in both columns, the contact boxes lower in the page will not appear.

In your case, I would choose FILING/ALREADY FILED on the left, and EFILE STATUS on the right.

You can disregard the help articles. Those steps above were just to get the page to expand and route you to the right support department.

By then the page will have expanded. Scroll down a little past the notice of the IRS Delay.

You will now see contact boxes for CALL US or CHAT, with expected wait times.

Support hours: 5 AM - 9 PM PST, 7 days a week.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp