This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

TURBO TAX IS A SCAM!

I CHOSE TO FILE FOR THE FREE OPTION AND ENDED UP PAYING 60 DOLLARS FOR MY TAXES!!! I'M GOING TO REPORT THIS TO THE NEWS!
    If you pay the fee with your credit card versus having it taken out of your tax return you can save about $30.00. I have been using Turbo Tax since 2002 and have never had an error and I always recieve my money in a timely manner.
      You probably accidentally switched from the free version at an early step.  Don't blame TurboTax for your stupidity and ignorance.
      • WAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      The Free Edition of TurboTax Online provides the preparation and e-file of a simple federal tax return only. Other services offered to you like state tax preparation are not necessarily free.

To remove the fee of a prepared state tax return, you can delete your state tax return from the State Taxes section of TurboTax Online. Here's a TurboTax Support article about deleting a state tax return:
      http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/state-taxes/state-issues/1940.html

You can review all of the TurboTax Online fees from the TurboTax homepage:
      http://turbotax.com
      Definitely not a scam.   On the simplest return is free.   It will tell you from the beginning if you can use the free one.
      • I agree.  I don't mind paying for tax preparation but why does it cose $63  on line but Target sells turbotax deluxe for $39?  I definitely sadder but wiser (poorer , too!)
      • TurboTax is not a scam, you have to read these things as you are going through them, they offer services which you probably paid for. Report it to the News all you want but you will probably end up looking dumb in the end. Did you contact the IRS and see if they actually took 60 from you?
      You must have did something wrong it never has charged me and first it did and I went back and found out I had chose the wrong form to fill out, always make sure you are using the right form.
      • your an idiot and very rude.   you done something wrong and you sound like those people who just like to stir crap when it doesnt happen your way.   report this to your news but you will continue to look like an idiot on national television.   do some digging and ask turbo tax CS agent, why you were charged and if you are able to ask in a nice way...maybe they will refund some of those charges.   i just had a chat with a lovely girl who was happy to assist me in getting a $40 credit thru the online chat, after i explained i am a single mother with two teenage boys and every dollar helps in times like these.  you will be scammed if you continue with your ignorant and nasty attitude
      • can you provide more detail?  did you not file an EZ?  they do have restrictions of course, as advertized.
      • you must have done something wrong...
      • i feel the same way. i just realized they got me for 58.00 last year. i thought it was like half that. And i think they got me again for about 60. this year except im not sure because they hid the fees even better. look at your 2009 return first block (balance due refund) it will tell you how much you paid last year. More than likely more than you thuoght. Now look at this years return and you will notice they hid the fees. No longer there. that way next year when you file you wont be able to claim tax fees paid because you wont know what they are.
      Turbo Tax is free, and free to file if you read the fine print it will tell you that 1040EZ is free.  Any other, more complicated filing will cost you a little.  I just filled mine out, and it figured out the AMT for me, and I'm getting a hefty refund, and my filing fee was $39.00.  To get this fee, you have to pay up front with your credit card.  If you have it taken out of your return the cost is about double.  It is all very clearly printed on the website.  Think about it, they are having to wait for their payment from the IRS just like you, so obviously it will cost you more money.  If you don't want to pay for Turbo Tax do do all the math for you, go to the post office and pick up the forms you need, and semd them through the mail.
      • First of all, to those bringing insults and name-calling...CALM DOWN!!! SHEESH! I was joking about reporting it to the news! Seems like there's some people who have nothing else better to do than sit on a chat and insult others! I was upset because I am a struggling college student AND EVERY PENNY COUNTS! For those who provided helpful feedback, I contacted turbotax and they will refund me my fee..I filed everything correctly and they apologized for having these hidden fees! They looked up my account and confirmed that I did file for the Free option but that like some of you have said, I had to choose the credit card option (which wasn't stated at all in the beginning of the process...So, Its all good now..I just know that I won't file with this company again...THANK YOU!
      • That's because you are an idiot!
      • Wow, they refunded it back, they apologized, and as other posts said, it's all there in print, small as it might be or a little hard to notice everything and you are STILL not going to use them next year?  I've been a struggling college student as well, so we've all been there.  I'm sure someone might comment on my next statement, but you are a college student?  Sorry state of our education, I'd say if you represent the attitude, lack of reading, lack of accepting an apology, etc.  Hope your degree isn't accounting as I certainly don't want you doing my taxes or financials in the future if you can't read the small print!
      • well I just got taken on $98 I was a returning user, and the fed is not free for people such as me. Neither is the state. I also pd xtra to have them take the funds from my refund. So next year I will be returning as a new user
      • ever hear of you get nothing for free  walcome to usa
      • ME TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO whats up with that ??????????
      • Guess you can't read and follow directions!
      Federal is Free.  The state wants their money. Its the state return you pay for.
      • only the state return cost money, i've never had a problem with their free filing.
      • Then you obviously did not pay close attention to what you did. As long as the box on the upper left corner says Free Edition, that's what it is. Obviously somewhere along the line you did not check "No Thanks" when it asked you if you wanted to upgrade. Go ahead, report it to the news! They like to show how stupid people can be.
      • You probably did something wrong, as I was not charged anything. I used TurboTax for the free federal filing, which went smoothly. I then accessed a free filing program for state taxes by doing a simple google search with my state name. Just because you are probably not internet or tech savvy don't write comments about a well done and simple tax return program.
      I'm sorry this happened to you, Ive used Turbotax for 5 years now and have always chosen the 29.95 option and have never been charged more. Not to mention I can always return here if i loose a copy of an old return.
      I hope your issue is resolved!!
      • Maybe you should, instead, write a letter to the flippin' government who has made paying taxes SO complicated that we all have to use a service like this in the first place. Don't blame Turbotax for making a good product that helps us deal with the rediculous tax code without killing ourselves in the proces... take a chill.
      • THAT HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY WHEN IWAS DOING MY SISTERS TAXES. I THINK THERE MAY BE A SMALL GLITCH IN THE PROGRAM. I JUST DELETED THE INFORMATION, CREATED A NEW USER NAME AND CHOSE FEDERAL FREE AND EVERYTHING WORKED OUT JUST FINE. SHE DIDN'T HAVE TO PAY FOR ANYTHING. TURBO TAX IS GREAT!
      • You know, I have used this option for 3 years and I have had it. They didn't even file my state and they charged me $40 for it, plus the Federal. I told them that this was the last year. They are NOT getting anymore of my money!!!!!
      • i also filed for free and was charged turbo tax is a scam
      • I just got charged $123, for using the basic upgrade, which was $19.95 (I thought since they said it tranferred all the info from the previous year it would be worth it, but it really wasn't) and filing taxes in 2 states. ($36.95 for each state) plus the $30 fee to have the fees taken out of my refunded. Yeah, I'm pretty irritated, because like the rest of the world, every penny counts. But I'm sure if I looked a little closer at what I as doing, I would've noticed it, just wish they would be a little more upfront about the cost. So it's my error, not theirs. I'm just out $123. Life goes on.
      No longer there. that way next year when you file you wont be able to claim tax fees paid because you wont know what they are.

Well now, if you print off a copy of your return like you should, you can write on the top of the first page what you paid for 2011,  in 2012 the amount will be right there for you to see.

You must be able to itemize deductions and have over 2% of  your adjusted gross income in the section where you claim tax filing expenses.

Leslie