403(b) rollover IRA

How do I show a 403B rollover to a traditional IRA...I should not be taxed until withdrawing this money, but Turbotax is automatically claiming this to be a rollover to a Roth IRA.
  • Was this ever fixed in TT?
Make sure your 1099-R Box 7 entry is "G"

Use Code G for a direct rollover from a qualified plan, section 403(b)
plan or a governmental section 457(b) plan to an eligible retirement
plan (another qualified plan, a section 403(b) plan, a governmental
section 457(b) plan, or an IRA).

Source:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099r.pdf  page 13

A direct rollover means you did not touch the money and it went directly from the 403(b) account to the IRA account.

If you had a direct rollover and Box 7 is not "G" contact your payer for an explanation and/or a corrected form.
  • My question is, "Do you even have to report these 1099-R's when there is a rollover?"  In the past, when we had someone else do our tax forms, my accountant didn't even want to see the 1099-R's from my wife's 403(b) or any IRA's. Never had a problem in the past 30 years with IRS or California Franchise Tax Board in leaving them out of our returns.
  • I have the same problem. I entered the G from box 7, and entered 0.00 for taxable amount. Turbo Tax is still trying to tax my rollover.
  • We are all doing as directed but the Turbo  product is not performing correctly. So please understand it is not the taxpayer ..it is the product  malfunction.
    thx please let us know when fixed...
  • I'm doing my taxes now (end of march) and Turbo Tax still puts my rollover as taxable income, even though I enter the information correctly...so people: pay attention: problem not fixed by Turbo Tax!
  • I stand corrected: when deleting the rollover information it did not change the bottom line on my taxable income or taxes...so I guess it is handled correctly by Turbo Tax