Why do I not get anything back for child tax credit when I did last year and nothing has changed other than the amount of time I worked?

If your child turned 17 during the year, that would disqualify you. Did you work a lot less time, resulting in much less income? The child tax credit only reduces your tax liability. It is not a refundable credit.
    • The Child Tax Credit is not a "refundable credit". This means that it cannot be used to reduce your tax liability below zero. Your Federal income tax withheld is not included in the calculation of your tax liability.

In other words you have to have a tax to reduce.  If your income is low and you don't owe any tax you won't get any credit back.  Or if you only owe a small tax then that's all you can get back.
    • I worked exactly half of the time I worked the year before. Instead of a full year, I worked 6 months. My children are 8 and 5 so being under 17 isn't the issue...This is only my second year ever filing taxes so I don't know my way around this whole confusing thing yet.
    • Info on the Child Tax Credit……
      http://www.irs.gov/publications/p972/ar02.html
    There are usually 1 of 6 reasons, you don't get the Child Tax credit(CTC). From what's been said so far, it's likely #4, below.

1. In the personal Info section, for the dependent, you must have selected answers that indicate that he/she is your child living with you
    2. Your child may be  too old (over 16). This comes as a big surprise to many parents the year their child turns 17. Although a child can still be a student dependent through age 23, the Child Tax Credit expires the year they turn 17.
    3. Your income is too high. The Child Tax Credit (CTC)is phased out at higher incomes starting at $110,000 for joint filers and is completely gone at $130,000 ($75K-95K single).
    4. Your income is too low.  The CTC is also limited to your tax liability. The child tax credit is a non-refundable credit and can only reduce your income tax to 0, it can not help you beyond eliminating your tax liability. But, if you have more than $3000 of earned income,  some or all of it is usually given back to you thru the "Additional Child tax credit". That is, part of  the CTC may be on line 39 of form 1040A instead of line 33 (lines 65 & 51 of form 1040).    In the on-line version of TT,     The  main Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ can be seen through Tools, View Tax Summary, Preview My 1040. The ACTC is calculated on form 8812; that form is not view-able in the on-line version of TT until you have paid for your return.
    5. You are the custodial parent and the non-custodial parent is claiming the dependent this year. The CTC goes with the dependency, even though the custodial parent still gets EIC, DCC & HoH.
    6. Another possibility is that part of your tax due is not regular income tax, but is self-employment, early distribution penalty or another type of additional tax, for which the CTC cannot be used.
    .