Cannot download the updates

The updater says it will take 12 minutes. In fact, I have let it run for an hour and it just hangs, never completing even the first step. Even when I close it with the task manager, Windows complains that it will not close. My system is fully capable and I ran last year's TurboTax  on it.
    Sorry that did not work, is there any chance it extracted the files to the temp directory in Windows Explorer and there is a executable file to click on?  This is a user to user forum, you might want to contact TurboTax support at at the following website: now Open 5:00 am Pacific - 9:00 pm Pacific, Monday thru Sunday
    https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp

On the Support site select a Category, then on the right select an option under Choose One, at the bottom of the screen you can choose the option of Online Chat or Call Us.
    • Thanks for your help. I never use Internet Explorer and have no idea how to do what you said.

Most likely I will return the product as defective (which it obviously is) and try TaxCut or something. But just out of curiosity, do you think if I bought it March it would need fewer updates?
    Have you tried the manual updates instead of going through the program?  See the following
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Manual-Update/Manual-Updates-for-TurboTax-2008-2011-Federal-Tax-Products/GEN12430.html
    • bluedeb's answer here appeared promising. However, the instructions at that web page are wrong. When I double-clicked the "vise" icon, there were no onscreen instructions to follow. It did say it was extracting something, but there was no hint of what or where it put things  or what to do next. The problem persists.
    The software that is out would need to be updated just the same as the CD you bought.  If you think there is a problem with the CD you might want to contact TurboTax support, they may be able to switch you to a download of the software.  It will still need to be updated but maybe they can help you with that.