The amount of my state tax refund is incorrect on screen. what do i do?

The amount of my 2010 state tax refund is incorrect on the TurboTax screen. I have my 2010 tax return in front of me. How can I fix the amount?
    Another thing for everyone

....any "use tax" charged against your 2010 state tax return...that was deducted from your state refund amount....but that is added back to your Fed taxes state refund $$ for 2011 !
    • >>..any "use tax" charged against your 2010 sate tax return...that was deducted from your state refund amount....but that is added back to your Fed taxes state refund $$ for 2011 !

That is exactly what I am seeing.  The amount that Turbo Tax is showing is my state refund from 2010 plus my use tax applied to my state tax 2010.

What is the correct response to Turbo Tax especially since it doesn't match my 1099-g?

A) That the number is correct.
      B) I amended my return
      C) The state updated my return

Thanks
      Brendan
    If  you live in connecticut and fessed up to your use tax the refund amount will be more than you actually got back. The use tax is like a sales tax paid on out of state purchases. Your official refund would be the amount you actually got back plus the amount of the refund applied to cover your use tax. It's just that you are using your income tax refund to cover the use tax. In this case, TT gets it right.
      Change it to whatever you believe to be correct

BUT

Be sure you have the refund BEFORE any donation check-offs,
       or if part was applied to the next year's taxes...before that.

The 1099-G you SHOULD get from your state is the correct $$ amount (almost) always.
      ____________________
      If anyone putzed with your online tax data after you filed and before OCt last year, the $$ transferred are whatever is in the putzed with data file.  Never touch a tax return file after it is filed except to print/save the data.

(OK...or prepare an amendment)
      • I'm finding the same thing "Janet 002". I didn't change a thing and it is incorrect. Anyone at Turbo Tax want to look into this?
      • Yeah some folks ar discussing it, but hard to see if/when they figure out what happend.

I've seen two entry pages in the software on this.

One just shows you what TTX thinks the refund was, and you can change if necessary

Another shows the amount and asks you to check a box that it is 1) correct?, or two selections that it is wrong....but neither might quite apply.  If you didn't amend your  tax return, you can just check the one about the state changing it......that's as close as you can get,,,,then the next page, you change it to whatever is correct.

But remember, it is the overpayment from last year BEFORE any checkoff donations and BEFORE applying any of it to the next year's tax bill.
      • turbotax is importing wrong amount from 2010 state tax refund.  Last year and this year both completed online.  What's that about TurboTax guarantee all calculations are correct?
      • I am seeing the same thing.... Any status on this?
      You are correct:

I'd like to see TurboTax include an "Other" selection too.
      • TT got the value wrong - I've checked what the state actually deposited into my bank account and last year's TT-prepared tax statement.
        TT lets you CHANGE the value AFTER you click, "Yes this is correct."  It will show you a summary, at which point you can press "Edit" and change the number manually.
        TT got the value wrong last year and should have an option on the first page for, "No this is wrong." rather than suggesting the user did something.
      • nonickname407 suggested looking through your 2010 return to find the numbers TT seems to be reporting.  The amount TT CLAIMS was my 2010 refund was found by subtracting: The amount I paid in state, local, and foreign income taxes (line b1 of the NYS itemized deduction worksheet), MINUS the NYS tax due on my Taxable Income (line 38 of the NYS IT-201).  The difference between TT's CLAIM of what I was refunded, and my ACTUAL refund (what was on my summary page, and went into the bank) is equal to my Empire State child credit (on form NYS IT-213).  Why this happened, I have no idea.  I will most likely try Greendesign's idea to fix it (change the value after clicking, "Yes this is correct.", by editing the summary.)  Good luck!
      A) The number is correct.
      ___________________________________________________
      Example:  Refund would have been $120 without the Use tax, but sate remove $20 for use tax.
      a) State sent $100 to you
      b)  Add back the $20, and the actual original State refund of $120 goes into the Fed form as the actual state Refund.

Still confused..? In What state was your 2010 tax return?
        I had forgotten that I had donated $20 to a special fund.
        • I thought the same thing, but when I went back through my state return, I quickly found the number TurboTax was using.  I was looking at the TurboTax cover sheet, not realizing it was actually looking for a different number from a line buried in the return.  See if you can figure out where TurboTax's number is coming from; it is probably the correct number.
        • My return also says I rec'd a refund I did not get.  I have my turbo tax papers from last year here that say refund $0.   I am in Montana.  What is a use tax?   I am nervous about saying Montana changed my return, but I did not get the refund.
        cookie... a zero could be on there because you applied all of the refund to the next years taxes.  The refund BEFORE that rollover is the $$ that are used in your Fed tax return this year.

A "use" tax is just a sales tax that the states charge people for buying items in another state (usually on the internet) that isn't taxed where purchased, but the states all want to collect a sales tax on those items.
        • I am not wild about SteamTrain's solution of saying state changed the amount when they did not.  Turbo Tax simply made a mistake amd there should be one more choice in the program - namely information is incorrect and allow the user to correct the  amount!  After all, why attribute the error to something that is not true!