This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

Forgot to attach Schedule D, form 8949, etc. in federal tax...

In short, I submitted only Form 1040 and W-2 for my federal tax but forgot the rest forms...Those numbers on form 1040 are all correct though.

In details, I forgot to attach the following forms:
(1) Schedule D and form 8949 (capital gains and losses, where I have a net loss $160)
(2) Form 8889 (health saving account contribution)
They have already been considered in form 1040. I simply forgot to print them as well.

So far I didn't see the refund yet in my checking account. My question is whether I shall amend my federal tax return immediately or wait unitl I hear from IRS.

I can't explain why it happened. Sorry about that but please advice. Really appreciate it!
  • I also have the same problem, this time (forgot to attach the above docs when filing for tax return along with ITIN application). How did it get resolved. Appreciate your response on it.
You should not do anything until your return is accepted or rejected by the IRS.

If your return is rejected, then you can simply refile -- preferably by efile.

If your return is accepted and correct, then you don't need to do anything.

If your return is accepted and incorrect, then you can proceed to amend.
    did you e-file? these documents are all part of your return and were transmitted.

did you snail mail? then you wait for IRS to request missing forms
    • Thanks. I had to mail it as I need to file ITIN application for my wife first. That's basically why I overlooked the tax return...Thanks. I will just hold on and wait and see what is going to happen. Wish IRS only request me to send rest forms.