How to report 1099-R income

I live in MA, and received a 1099-R dist from a bank with a CT address. How do I report this income?
    Enter a 1099R under
    Personal Tab
    Personal Income
    Choose Explore on my own (if it comes up),
    Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,
    Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans - click Start or Update

If box 2a is zero or says unknown then leave it BLANK!

After you enter the 1099R be sure to answer all the follow up questions on the next screens to determine how much is taxable.  Go all the way to the end of the section. You have to enter it from the 1099R because there are codes on it you need to enter properly.

Also make sure you have a taxable amount showing up on 1040 line 15b or 16b and it is not zero. People have not been answering the follow up questions right and have been getting zero amount taxable on the "b" line. Then they get a nasty letter from the IRS saying they didn't report the distribution and you owe more tax.
    • Thank you for your response, very helpful. I am also confused with the payers state box. I live in ma, but the payer on the 1099 has a CT address. When I put CT in the payor state box, turbo tax says I need to do a CT return. What's the proper treatment?