TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Not sure what to enter in "Shares Traded for Taxes Withheld"

I sold RSU's in 2010 that came from multiple lots.  When the RSU's vested, some shares were used to pay taxes which was on my W2 for the relevant year.  When I enter the RSU sales in TT and it asks for "Total Shares Vested or Released" do I enter the before-tax number of shares or the after tax number of shares?  My 1099B has the after tax number of shares.  If I put in the after tax number of shares does that mean I enter 0 in "Shares Traded for Taxes Withheld".  

If I do that, what do I do about reinvested dividends?  If I enter all of teh reinvested dividends but don't account for the ones that went into the portion of shares used to pay tax, am I misrepresenting?  This is really complicated!
    For the Total Shares Vested and Shares Traded for Taxes Withheld you need to go to each vesting event (within each grant, for each vested date).  When the RSU's were vested you pull the total vested for that grant on that vesting date and the number of shares sold for taxes.  You load this information, even if you didn't sell the whole block that was vested at that time.

In my USB account for example on each vesting line (within each grant) it will state "Number of shares" and "Share Disposition Detail" (SDD).  The SDD states a number "WHLD" which is the count sold for tax witholding and counted as your income on your W-2 for that year.

What TT is doing with this information is determining how many of your shares are long term vs short term gains/losses.  I'm sorry, I've no reinvested dividend experience with RSU's.

Similar questions other people found helpful: