WHY AM I NOT ELIGIBLE FOR CHILD TAX CREDIT?

I DID NOT MAKE OVER THE LIMIT OF INCOME, THE CHILD LIVED WITH ME FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR AND I AM GETTING EIC, WHY DOES IT SAY I AM NOT ELIGIBLE FOR THE CHILD TAX CREDIT
  • I am asking the same thing I was depending on that I need the extra cash I get the EIC but now I don't get this or the dependant care credit and where did the work credit go to this year it was a big help last year...Last year I got almost 6,000 now I am getting nearly nothing what has OBMOA done to us poor people I guess we will all live in the streets and the rich get everything
Are you getting the dependent exemption?  Was the child under 17?  Did you get the "Additional Child Tax Credit" instead?
  • You are not eligible for the Child Tax Credit because you have no qualifying children. Explain This
    Your Child Tax Credit, but my Son is attending school full time and he is under 23
Info on the Child Tax Credit……
http://www.irs.gov/publications/p972/ar02.html

The child has to be UNDER 17 on Dec 31, to qualify.

The Child Tax Credit is not a "refundable credit". This means that it cannot be used to reduce your tax liability below zero. Your Federal income tax withheld is not included in the calculation of your tax liability.

In other words you have to have a tax to reduce.  If your income is low and you don't owe any tax you won't get any credit back.  Or if you only owe a small tax then that's all you can get back.