can i claims my grandchild

if i supported my grandchild all year long would i claim her as a my child or another person
    A child closely related to a taxpayer can  be a “Qualifying Child (QC)” dependent, regardless of the child's income, if:
    1. He is under age 19, or under 24 if a full time student for at least 5 months of the year, or  is totally & permanently disabled
    2. He did not provide more than 1/2 his own support
    3. He lived with the relative (or was away at school) for more than half the year
    4. He is younger than the relative
    5. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer (usually the parent)
    6. If the parents of a child can claim the child as a qualifying child but no parent so claims the child, no one else can claim the child as a qualifying child unless that person's adjusted gross income (AGI) is higher than the highest AGI of any of the child's parents who can claim the child.

    As Howard1948 pointed out, you cannot claim the child if the parent(s) do. The exception is if the child lived with you for more than half the year and did NOT live with a parent for more than half the year; then you and not the parents could claim the child

    There is also an unlikely exception to  Howard1948's comment "But if the child lived outside of your home, you cannot claim the child as a dependent under any circumstance''. If the child lived somewhere else, but you provided more than half her support AND no parent or other relative can claim her (that is she is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer), you could claim her as a dependent and get her $3700 exemption (deduction), but could not claim her as a "Qualifying child" for such things as the child tax credit and earned income credit
    • how would i claim my granddaugther
    Support of a minor child is not a condition required for claiming a child as a dependent.

    The custodial person, the person with whom the child spends more than 1/2 the nights in the home of, is entitled to the dependency exemption.  If the child's parents also live in the home with the child, they might be considered the custodial parents.  So you might have to explain more of your situation to be certain.  But if the child lived outside of your home, you cannot claim the child as a dependent under any circumstance.
      do me,
      If you meet the rules above, enter you grandchild's information at:
      -personal information
        Contribute an answer

        People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

        1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
        2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
        3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
        4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
        5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.