Can I claim my son as a dependent if he claims himself on his tax return?

He cannot be your dependent and also take a personal exemption on his own return.  If he CAN be claimed as a dependent on your return, he must so indicate this on his return and would not be allowed the personal exemption.  It doesn't matter if you actually claim him, only that you (or someone else) can.
    • My question is related.  My son indicated he could not be claimed on another return.  He submitted his return in Feb and got a refund.  I went to submit my joint return last week and it was rejected - most likely for this reason.  My question is next steps.  I filed for an extention.  Do I need to have my son amend his 2011 return first then send mine in?  Can I do this at the same time?   FInamcially, it's better for him to pay the tax due than for me to loose the decution.  We provided over half his support in 2011 (through August) so we should be entitled to claim him.  Just didn't coorindate this too to well with him;-)
    You can mail your return in now.  You won't be able to efile even when he amends his return.  An amended return will take too long to process and clear the exemption.

Read this on how to amend a 2011 return….
    http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Amend-a-Return/Amend-a-2011-Tax-Return/GEN83887.html  

The amended return is form 1040X and can only be mailed (not efiled) and will take 8-12 weeks or more to process.  And they only send checks for amended returns, no direct deposit.  You should also wait to amend your return until you get your original refund or your payment has cleared because the IRS might adjust your original return.