where do i enter Canada form NR4?

this NR4 is for dividends i received in 2011.
    I googled this question and found the following instructions. Note - I received form NR4 from the Canada Revenue Agency for cashing out an RRSP.

    1. Select tools
    2. Select Topic Search
    3. Type in "form 8891".
    4. Select it and you should be good to go.
    • Thanks GoFins, I will have to do that for NR4 I got for RRSP account I disolved in 2011.

      I got the amount - 25% tax held by canadian government. Do you know how I handle that in TurboTax to avoid double taxation?
    • I, too, received an NR4 for closing out my RRSP this year and paid the 25% foreign tax.  If I fill out the 8891 then do I apply for a foreign tax credit?  And, even though I owned the RRSP am I considered a beneficiary?
    • I'm in the same boat - received NR4 for cashing out RRSP and filled 8891 form but can't claim foreign tax credit. Anyone had any luck claiming 25% of the distribution that was paid to Canada?
    • Scottless...did you figure it out yet?  I'm so confused...

    • Scottless ~ Also I'm not sure the 8891 iis what we need to use.  To me that form is for distributions from your RRSP, like in retirement, as opposed to our situation (I'm assuming) where we took money from our RRSP and paid the penalty to bring the money to the US.  I almost think it should be entered as a sale in secutiry with tax withheld as opposed to using the 8891.  But, I could also be way off....
    This seemed to apply to my situation:
    NR4 Box 16 = 1099-DIV box 1b
    NR4 Box 17 = 1099-DIV box 6

    • This answer is for cashing out your RRSP's
      if the the financial company that managed your RRSP funds is US based or has US offices (like Citigroup Fund Services Canada) they should have issued you 1099-B forms to indicating what has been reported to the US Government in terms of the income you should be reporting (assuming you gave them a US address).  If you do not have 1099-B forms then use the NR4 statement to calculate the values as if you were given 1099-B, not as a 1099-DIV values.  The 1099-B values tracks the Sale of stocks, bonds and assets.

      NR4 line 16 value becomes the line 2 value on the 1099-B.  
      All other fields in the 1099-B will be $0.  
      This line 2 value (or the sum of all the values if you happen to have more than one NR4) goes in line 13 of form 1040
      Note - exchange the C$ NR4 value to US$ using the exchange rate on the date of your RRSP withdrawal

      Now when you try and see if you are eligible for the foreign tax credit (form 1116).  Select  "E" as the credit type.  Your calculated 1099-B Line 2 value is your foreign income and is "NOT FROM K-1".
      Your foreign tax paid - the 25% - is the NR4 line 17 value and you should put it in the other taxes paid or accrued section and again is "NOT FROM K-1". (Again change the NR4 value to US$ based on the earlier exchange instructions.)
    I had a similar problem with a distribution from a RRIF which TurboTax was able to handle but claiming the foreign tax credit was more difficult.  The form you need is 1116.  I had some international mutual funds which also had foreign tax so TurboTax had already created a form which I simply had to edit.  To do this go to the top right of the page and click "forms".  All your forms will appear at the left and click on 1116 and edit the form by adding appropriate details for your NR4 tax.  I am using the downloadable version but looking at the online version I don't see how to get the forms.  There must be a way!  Anyway that's what I did.
    • Hi Scottless and virgoprincess...did you guys figure it out yet.  Anybody who pass through this question who knows the answer and has used TuboTax to file their taxes please HELP!!..
    For the IRS, we are beneficiaries of The RRSP's. Withdrawals are entered on form 8891 and the foreign tax credit can be claimed on form 1116. If it is an early withdrawal (as far as CRA is concerned) there will be 25% tax collected by the Canadian government; after conversion to a RRIF the tax rate would only be 15%. As long as on previous tax returns one has taken advantage ot the Canadian-US tax treaty to defer the gains on the retirement account by including a year-end value on a 8891 (and other forms prior to its inception) one needs to calculate the portion of the withdrawal that is taxable in the US using a ratio. One can also break it all into different types of earnings, but I am too lay for that. The principal part of the RRSP is not taxable in the US. The tricky part about the 8891 is to calculate what is taxable in the USA.
      Would this have been on a taxable interest form if you were a Canadian resident?
       Interest is paid for the use of your money since that money has an opportunity cost and could be earning money if it were put in another use. It is a form of compensation for the time value and risk that you may not get it back. As for whether a type of interest received is tax free that is specified by law. Your insurance agent is obligated to explain what he sold to you and could probably answer your question specifically about any complex insurance product that you bought.
        You may elicit more help if you elaborate on what an Nr4 or a GIC is. I can surmise that a GIC is probably a guaranteed investment contract but then maybe not....Generally interest is reported in the wages  and income section of federal taxes, see interest and dividends.
        One poster says that the NR4 is as follows....Canada Revenue Agency form NR4 (Statement of Amounts paid to non resident of Canada).
        • The NR4 is statements of amounts paid or credited to non-residents of Canada. In my case it also states Your income tax information slips reporting deposit interest.
          GIC is Guaranteed investment Certificate.

          I am confused how to enter it in Turbotax considering I don't have a 1099 INT for this..
        • I see. You should enter the information as if you did receive a 1099-INT. many people do not receive that form and yet you are required to enter any and all interest earned. The key is to just enter the name of the payer and the amount of interest received in the Wages and income, Interest and dividends section of federal taxes. The IRS is looking to see that you report at least the amount that they have seen reported on the 1099-INTs to them. However, many folks receive interest that is just on a bank stateemnt or other piece of paper and yet they should report it in that section of the program.
        • The NR4 I received was for Canada Revenue Agency form NR4 (Statement of Amounts paid to non resident of Canada) Arm's length interest payment on a Life Insurance policy.  Does this change the income classification since it will be tax free when the Life Insurance collapses?
        I haven't a clue as to what a NR4 is. but if you are filing a F1040  then you report your interest and dividends received under wages and income and then under interest and dividends.
        • I have the same question.. I received a NR4 for interest earned on GIC which matured in 2011. No tax was withheld from it. I was wondering how I can report the income?
        Contribute an answer

        People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

        1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
        2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
        3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
        4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
        5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.