Mortgage Assistance Payments, form 1098-MA

I'm confused from what I've read.  It sounds like I'm suppose to subtract what is noted on the 1098-MA from the interest I paid on my mortgage on the 1098.  What if my mortgage assistance payments is greater then the interest I paid?  What do I do?
    pjh9559 - Yes, you will want to contact the bank to see how much interest you actually paid.    Only the amounts you paid can be deducted.
    • This is confusing me too. How could what you actually paid in interest exceed what is in box 1 on the 1098 since that is the entire amt. of interest paid the whole year (what you paid plus what MA paid)? When I took my taxes to get done by Jackson Hewitt (we never finalized and filed though), they had 3 people look over it and said I could use the whole amount of interest even though I didn't actually pay all of that. They said it was because of the safe harbor method. I'm trying now to figure this out so I can file through turbo tax. So, can I use all of what is in box 1 or do I have add up only what I paid in?
    It can be very confusing.  The bottom line is you can deduct what you actually paid during the year for mortgage interest and property taxes.  Those payments could have been made to your mortgage servicer (who you normally send your mortgage payment to), the State HFA, or HUD.    But, do not deduct more than the "sum" of the amounts  shown on Form 1098, Mortgage Interest Statement, in boxes 1 (Mortgage interest received), 4 (Mortgage insurance premiums), and  5 (Real Property taxes).
    • So, do i contact my bank to see how much in payments I made (besides the one the MA made) and only use what I applied toward the interest on my taxes?