Schedule C, Line 29, and form 8829, line 8, do not match. Why not?

My taxes:
Schedule C, Line 29 = 24,140
form 8829 line 8 = -982, no schedule D or form 4797.
  • I have one Schedule C, but TT still imported line 30 from C instead of line 29 into 8829 line 8. I've already e-filed. My refund should be $60 more. Do I need to amend this return?
Do you have more than ONE Schedule C?  If so, you have to "tell" the 8829 which business it should "tie" to.  I can't tell if you are using online or desktop TT, but if you had desktop you could view the Schedule C to verify the amounts.
  • I have only one schedule C, and I am using the Home and Business TurboTax 2011 on my laptop.  this is my first time using Turbo Tax.
  • Do you have any entries on Schedule D or Form 4797.....if so, these amounts can change the amount on line 8 of Form 8829....   go to the instructions for Form 8829 at www.irs.gov and read the instructions concerning line 8.
  • I have the same problem. On form 8829 line 8, turbotax entered $2902, which is actually from schedule c line 30 instead of line 29. I have no schedule d or 4797 and only one schedule c. Sch. C line 29 is $3492. $2902 is "allowable expenses for business use of home" amount.
  • I did finally figure this out.  My wife has a home-based business.  I had calculated the ratio of office space to total home space, and plugged it into the proper box.  However, somehow that ration also got into the 'What percentage of business performed at this location' question.  That should have been 100%.  End result was that box 8, form 8829 had her income times office-space-ration, when it should have been times 100%.  Once I figured that out, it all fell into place.
  • Ok... I have the same problem, however I have already e-filed.  Now how do I possibly go back and correct this. I'm sure I did not get the full amout of deduction and it is showing a very large neg. amount in Line 8 of Form 8829
  • I had this same thing happen. I finally deleted my home office information (address, etc. from when it transferred), and then added it like it was new. Thank you "mrazdave" for steering me in that direction. My numbers in the Schedule C now match with Form 8829. I am not sure if the information didn't transfer correctly or if it a glitch. I don't know how to fix it once you have submitted the information, though. Good luck!