Can I claim child tax credit for previous year ?

I am an expat in USA since July,2010 living with my wife & son. I could not claim child tax credit for 2010 due to a misunderstanding while filing tax returns for 2010. Since my son did not have SSN (he was born outside USA), IRS had  suggested me to file tax return excluding my son & then apply for ITIN but it did not work out !! Later on I realized that IRS has given me incorrect information. As a result I could not claim child tax credit for 2010.

Now I am filing my tax returns for 2011 & included my son as dependent & applying for his ITIN together. My question is, can I claim for 2010 child tax credit  along with my 2011 returns or is it possible to do this separately ?

Please share your inputs & expertise in this matter.

Thanks in advance.
    You would have to amend your 2010 return to claim the credit in 2010, once you have the number