RMD's while still working after 70 1/2

Is it required that I take RMD's while still working after age of 70 1/2
    Commencing with the year in which you turn 70-1/2, you are obligated to take the Required Minimum Distribution, although in that first year, you are allowed to defer taking it until the April15 of the year following.

That may or may not be a wise move depending on whether or not your income will be changing in the year following.
    • Per my plan administrator (401K), if working full time and PLAN permits; then I am not required to take RMD. Another individual older than I had same Q when he turned 70 1/2 in 2009; reviewed with his attorney and all is well. Apologize for forgetting to find IRSA reference before comment, I'll research and followup.
    • Thank you 80columncards. I thought this was the case. Although mine is a 403b , my administrator has indicated the same thing. With the IRS code, it is hard to to decipher that particular point.
      shubert4
    • I just asked that question last week, as I am 71 and still working and cannot take my pension until I retire from my company.  It is a 401A, which is hard to find any info on. It is scary not to know what to do, when the penalty is 50%.  Even our plan administrator did not know, so I kept searching online, and it seems you don't have to take it until you actually retire.
    Yes, you must.