What is the best way to file, Married Jointly of Married Filing Separately?

I got married in 2011 and my husband owns his own small business and owes taxes from previous years. What is the best way to file? Married jointly or separately?  There is a huge difference in the amount of the return.
    Married Filing Joint is usually the best filing status (even if only one spouse has income), you pay less tax, it has the highest standard deduction ($11,600), and all credits you may qualify for are available.   Since he owes back taxes you can include the Injured Spouse form with the joint return.  Form 8379 is filed by one spouse (the injured spouse) on a jointly filed tax return when the joint overpayment was (or is expected to be) applied (offset) to a past-due obligation of the other spouse. By filing Form 8379, the injured spouse may be able to get back his or her share of the joint refund.  It can take 11 to 14 weeks for a return to process with the 8379 form.

    Married Filing Separate, you will usually pay more tax on a separate return, the standard deduction is half of what a joint return is, you cannot take all the credits you may qualify for, for ex.  You cannot take the earned income credit or the education credits, and some deductions and credits are reduced at income levels that are half those for a joint return, for ex. Child Tax Credit.

    Community property states.   If you live in Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington, or Wisconsin and file separately, your income may be considered separate income or community income for income tax purposes. See Publication 555.

    The only true way to tell is to prepare returns in both filing methods to see which filing status benefits you.  If you file Married Filing Separate Online, you need to prepare two separate returns under two separate accounts : one for you, one for your spouse.

    To add the Injured Spouse form
    - Federal Taxes tab
    - Other Tax Situations
    - Other Tax Forms
    - Miscellaneous Tax Forms, click Start
    - Report an injured or innocent spouse claim
    - Click Start
      Contribute an answer

      People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

      1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
      2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
      3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
      4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
      5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.