can i claim mileage if i get reimbursed mileage by employer

Yes, if you use your vehicle in your employment and you are reimbursed less than the federal allowed rate for the standard mileage deduction, you can deduct the difference as an employee business expense. You will fill out Form 2106--Employee Business Expense and you will put all the miles on that form for business at the governmetn allowed rate and then you will subtract on that form the amount you were reimbursed and you get to deduct the differance. This amount will go over to Schedule A as a miscellaneous deduction and will only have value if your TOTAL itemized deductions exceed your standard deduction. In TT, look for employee busienss expenses, probably under Misc. Itemized Deductions to input your miles and reimbursement. There were two difference federal rates in 2011, so you may have to separate your miles from January to June and then July to December.
      If you get less than the standard federal amount, you can claim it. You figure your total miles for each half of the year (because the reimbursement rate changed mid-year) and enter those. Then at the end of the entire section of work related expenses, it will ask you what you were reimbursed by your employer. if you were not reimbursed at the standard federal rate, you will be able to claim some of it.
      • I am not being asked what i was reimbursed. What do i do??? How do i find it.?
      I enter vehicle expenses forboth my self-employment business expenses (sched C) and also my unreimbursed employee expenses (Sched A).  I noticed in TT that the menu for unreimbursed employee expenses asked me at the end how much I was reimbursed by my employer.  But the very similar menu for entering business expenses did not ask for reimbursements.  Maybe you didn't get asked to list reimbursements because you entered your mileage as a business expense in TT instead of an unreimbursed Employee expense.