Different last name on W-2 and SS card

My wife has recently leaglly changed her name.  So the last name on the W-2 is different than on her SS card.  Which last name do I use?
  • Curious if you ever found out your answer?  My wife and I were married in 2012, but have not changed her name yet.
did she report this to the irs?  (ssn admin).  If not, sort of tricky.  I would ask a tax professional.
  • My w2's were in my married name as well as my social security number. However, my name legally changed back to my maiden name in Jan. 2010. I couldn't remember if I had changed my name with SSA, but I still had my social security card with my maiden name as well as a card with my married name...SO I filed my taxes under my maiden name since this is what is now on my drivers license as well as my bank account for direct deposit.

    My return was accepted by the IRS on 1/31/12, and until yesterday, the WMR website posted 2/8/12 as my direct deposit date.

    When I checked yesterday it said that they couldnt provide information and to use reference number 9001 when contacting a customer service rep at IRS.

    To make a long story short, the rep (who was extremely helpful) told me this:

    My SSN is still under my married name in the system. I was issued reference number 9001 because I filed under my maiden name (even though it is now my legal name, and I thought that is what I was supposed to file under I should have filed using my married name). My return was processed on Feb 1, 2012 by the IRS, and is currently being processed a 2nd time, and she noted in the IRS system that there was a name change and that I was able to verify all info proving I am the same person whether I used my maiden or married name. She also suggested I go to the SSA to be sure that my name was changed. She said if it hasn't, I need to change it to the appropriate last name and then let the SSA know they need to notify the IRS that it is changed. The only bad part is that it could take an additional 3 weeks to receive my refund...BUT the good part is that she did note everything was correct on my return and that there were no other issues (other than the question of the name)...

    SO...my suggestion based on the advice of the IRS rep...USE THE LAST NAME ON YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY CARD...

    Hope this was helpful.
Contribute an answer

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.