On whose return do I enter 1099-Q and 1098-T info, mine or my son's?

We claim my son as a dependent.  The 1099-Q and 1098-T come in my son's name.  On whose return do I enter the forms?
  • I cannot claim my daughter because she earned over a $1000.00 , can I still put the 1099Q or the 1098T on my return?
Both forms can be entered on your return.
    For Barry C

Income / Less Common Income / Miscellaneous Income / Coverdell ESA and 529 qualified tuition programs (Form 1099-Q)
    • Same situation. My son is my dependent, but because he has a part time job (as most college students do) he will be filing his own return.
      Entering the 1098-T is a straight forward process, but the 1099-Q isnt. TT asks two questions:

1) Were you the beneficiary of a Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA)? This is an account set up for you by someone else to pay for your education expenses. (Y/N)?
      I was not the 'beneficiary'. My son is. I was the original purchaser of the account. So my answer to this question would have to be NO.

2) Did you receive Forms 1099-Q for distributions from a Coverdell ESA or a qualified tuition program (QTP)? (Y/N)
      The 1099-Q is made out to my son, not me - so again the answer to this question is NO.

Of course, by answering NO to both of these questions, TT assumes you have nothing to enter here, and kicks you out of this section.

The instructions included on the 1099-q state that the "earnings" reported in box 2 need to be added to income "unless they are used to pay for qualified education expenses".

The way I'm interpreting it, The "Earnings" on the 1099-Q only needs to be reported IF it exceeds the amount actually spent on qualified education expenses.
    For mh70

The answer to question 2 would be yes.  It asks if you receieved Forms 1099-Q, not if you were the listed beneficiary.  Since your son is your dependent then the 1099-Q is yours to claim.

It is not the earnings (Box 2)  that needs to be covered by qualified education expenses. It is the entire distribution (box 1) that needs to be covered.  For example, box 1 shows $5,000 and box 2 shows $1000 and you only have qualified education expenses for $2,500.  You only covered half of the distribution so half of the earnings, or $500, would be added to your taxable income.  If you had $4,000 in expenses then $1000 of the $5,000 (20%) was not covered so 20% of the $1,000 in earnings, or $200, would be added to your taxable income.
    • They both get entered on parents return even if issued with child's ss# on them?
    • But you can use the distribution for room and board as well, and this is not reported on a 1098-T, only the tuition expenses. I thought that if you claim an education credit, then you must report the "earnings" portion of the 1099-q on either you or your childs tax return
    • We're having a similar problem.
      We decided to enter the 1099-q and 1098T information on my son's return because even though he is our dependent he had a part time job and should get a refund of taxes paid. However, even though the total distribution is completely covered by qualified tuition expenses on the 1098T and entered as such in the ediucational expenses section, TT wants to tax him for the amount in box 2 (earnings) on the 1099-Q. (And because we have claimed him as a dependent he can't get deduction/credit so he ends up owing taxes.) The only way I can get TT not to do this is to remove the $s from box2. Is this OK to do?
    Where do I enter the 1099Q