meal deduction for truck driver

my husband drives an 18 wheeler long distance and is gone many weeks at a time. How do I deduct his meals
    If he is an employee, they are deducted as an employee business expense.  Employee business expenses are under the deductions and credits tab for employment expenses.  If you are an employee, ordinary and necessary out of pocket work expenses are entered as employee business expense under miscellaneous itemized deductions.  Consequently, there are two limitations on their deductibility:

1.  You must be able to itemize, or the potential deductions are of no tax value, and
    2.  Miscellaneous itemized deductions are only available to the extent that they exceed 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income.  

Example:  If your AGI is $50,000, only miscellaneous deductions over $1,000 are deductible.  Because of this, many items deductible as miscellaneous itemized deductions have no tax value because the taxpayer doesn't itemize, or because they are lost in the 2% of adjusted gross income limitation.  In this example, if your miscellaneous itemized deductions are $1,500, only the $500 above the 2% limit is added to the itemized deduction "pot", to determine if it is greater than your standard deduction.  If not, none of the itemized deductions have a tax value.

If he is an hours of service employee covered by DOT transportation rules, you can use a special standard meal allowance if you work in the transportation industry. You are in the transportation industry if your work:

*      Directly involves moving people or goods by airplane, barge, bus, ship, train, or truck, and
        *      Regularly requires you to travel away from home and, during any single trip, usually involves travel to areas eligible for different standard meal allowance rates.

This includes individuals subject to the Department of Transportation's “hours of service” limits include the following persons.  The advantage is that instead of deducting 50% of meals and entertainment like most do, he can deduct 80%.

* Certain air transportation workers (such as pilots, crew, dispatchers, mechanics, and control tower operators) who are under Federal Aviation Administration regulations.
    * Interstate truck operators and bus drivers who are under Department of Transportation regulations.
    * Certain railroad employees (such as engineers, conductors, train crews, dispatchers, and control operations personnel) who are under Federal Railroad Administration regulations.
    * Certain merchant mariners who are under Coast Guard regulations.
    _______
    Amount

The amount is $59/day overnight ($65 in Alaska or Hawaii)
    • I understand the rule and even the amounts.  What I do not understand is WHERE in turbo tax do I enter the number of days I worked, so that it can calculate the deduction for me.  I am in the Job Expencses section,

Any Other Expenses?
      Enter the following expenses that you had in this occupation.

Parking, Taxi and Bus Expenses $0.00
      Travel Expenses Explain This $0.00
      Meal Expenses Covered by Department of Transportation Rules $14,160.00
      Other Meals and Entertainment Explain This $0.00

Some how I got the number in there for last year but I do not remember how.  

Any help would be great!
    • I too can't get turbo tax to put in this deduction...in previous year editions it gave choice for 50%, 80% or 100% but it isn't in here now.  How do I get this into my taxes?  I should mention that my husband is self employed as a truck driver not an employee
    • You have to be in the Home and Business edition to see the line items