TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Company OTR Truck Driver (not on per diem) - how to claim road expenses?

I am a company over-the-road truck driver. I was not on per diem for the past year. I trucked in the Lower 48 and Southern Canada. How do I go about claiming my expenses while on the road away from home? Thanks.
    Figure the allowable per diem as if they didn't pay you, them subtract what they paid you(if anything) for Meals & Incidenyal Expenses (M&IE)..
    See how it's done on Form 2106 - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2106.pdf

Your allowable US per diem was 80% of: $59/day for US, $65/day Canada.

IRS rulebook - http://www.irs.gov/publications/p463/index.html
    • The problem with this answer is if your using turbo tax to fill out the forms for you.  It does not ask you for the number of days away from home. Yes this information is help full had I been filing my taxes myself.  However that is why I am using turbo tax.  Also there s a new ruling that you can do this in 6hr increments.
      0-600 600-1200 1200-1800 18-2400  So of the $59 I can claim 80% of 14.75 for every 6hr period rounded to IRS benefits
      If you Made it home at 1600. You would have eaten breakfast and lunch on the road. That would make %80 of $29.5 =$23.60 non taxable.

Same goes for leaving the house. If you left at 7am you would get the 23.6 deductible. You shoulda left at 0600 or waited till 1800 to get home.
    • Can I go back and see the actual Turbo Tax screen with the questions I answered about this?

Similar questions other people found helpful: