Why hasn't my return been sent to the IRS?

I did my taxes on Sunday 1/15, why does it still say "pending" on my e-file status?
    The I.R.S, has turned off their new (super) computer! This new computer was supposed to cut down the processing time for returns. Therefore make refund wait period 4-5 days as apposed to the normal 2 weeks. Due to the large (unexpected) volume of early refunds the new (super) computer had to be taking off line to make adjustments to handle the larger than normal returns that were summited.

January 18, 2012 - IRS Temporary closes the MEF System At 6pm eastern on 1/17, the IRS has temporarily stopped accepting tax returns under the Modernized e-file (MEF) system. The IRS said the system was taken offline so that they could take steps to "improve processing of acknowledgments." The IRS indicated that they expected the system to be back online Wednesday morning (although as of 8am eastern on 1/18 the system was still offline). Despite the shutdown of the newer MEF system, the "legacy" system at the IRS continues to operate. We will keep you updated once new information becomes available.This year, the start date to electronically file was much later than normal. As a result, it is possible that the late start date at the IRS caused a larger than expected volume of tax returns in the initial day of filing, leading to this temporary shutdown at the IRS of its newer MEF system.
    • Will this affect the refund date?
    • I submitted my taxes on 1/05/2011 and all its saying is pending.....why????
    MeF System Temporary Shutdown -- 10:00 AM EST
    10:15 AM EST: The IRS posted the following information to their MeF Status Page:

Current System Status

Production System: Not Operational (updated at 9:30 am, Eastern on 1/18/12)

The Modernized e-File (MeF) System will remain offline for maintenance until approximately 12:00 pm (Noon)Eastern on Wednesday, January 18, 2012. This impacts all Individual (IMF) and Business (BMF) returns including Fed/State, as well as ATS. Transmitters will be able to retrieve any outstanding acknowledgments once the system becomes operational. All accepted return data will be processed downstream following the routine schedule.

this is the reason that no one is being accepted
      The Modernized e-File (MeF) is be up and running again.  You should be seeing a response soon.
      • Its saying my E-file status is "pending" its apporx. 2:15 est time here in Indiana
      • IT IS CURRENTLY 3:50 PM HERE IN CALIFORNIA, I FILLED MY RETURN ON ON 1/15 AND I AN STILL PENDING. I TOO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS WILL ALSO CAUSE A DELAY ON DD? IF ANYONE KNOWS PLEASE POST :)
      • mine is still pending and i submitted on the 7th  and im here in california. my state was  accepted on 17th
      • My Federal now has been accepted and my state is still pending......
      Make sure your have completed everything and actually e-filed.  Check Your E-File Status
      https://turbotax.intuit.com/efile/efile_status_lookup.jsp
      You can Check Your E-File Status at the above TurboTax Secure Site, then you can print it out. It will show the date you transmitted your return.
      • We sent ours 1/12 and have not heard anything.  Everything is still in "Pending" status.  Not sure why we have not heard anything.  Friends of ours filed 1/16 and have already heard.
      • Very disappointed did it on the13th still says pending my Co worker did hers on the 16 and she already got accepted
      They only started taking efiles on 1/17 at random so if you filed before then it was only supposed to guarantee that you would be accepted before the first cutoff but last night the new proccessing machine MeF was taken offline causing evrything to stop it is supposed to be back up and running at noon est not sure if it will affect return dates or not