1099-R Military Retirement Pay

While using Turbo Tax, Why did the tax owed on Federal and State increased drastically once I entered the information on my 1099-R (US Military Retirement Pay)??
    How do I answer if National Guard 1099R is fed gov pension benefit?
    • It's a Qualified plan.
    • I have been retired for over 10 years and my military retirement has never been taxed this large amount and my retirement salary has not increased much from last year to this year.  Last year it worked out even this year my taxes on my Military retirement increase 100x.  Something is wrong!  I know military retirement is taxable but the question is why a drastic difference from last year and previous years to this year.  In one year it jumped from receiving around 600 to owing over 6,000.  I've have never owed this much in my life.
    • I am having the same problem, my military retirement has jumped tremendously this year, we have been retired for 8 years and this is the first year it has jumped $6,000, anyone know why?
    • Does anyone know the answer to this?
    • I'm having the exact same issue. Our taxes jumped $6000 (from receiving refund of $600) when I entered military retirement pay. Anyone have any ideas? Can you file that separately. I really don't want to have to do an extension.
    • I am having the same problem, my military retirement has jumped tremendously this year
    • r_vandelinde  The answer remains the same, military retirement pay is taxable income and when you enter the associated 1099-R your tax liability will increase by the taxable income.
    Quite simply put, military retirement pay on your 1099-R is taxable income.  I wish I did not have to pay the federal tax on my military retirement income, but it is taxable.  

Tom D.