Can I claim my health ins premiums as "medical expenses," or is this only for co-pays, prescriptions, etc.

My premiums are deducted from my check each pay period for myself as well as my family (pre tax). As I see it these are medical expenses that I must pay to provide my family with medical coverage.
    If your premiums are deducted pre-tax you cannot deduct them.  Pre-tax means they come out of your paycheck before the taxes  owed are calculated and show as a difference between the Box 1 and the Box 3 amount on your W-2.  If they are paid after tax, then they're deductible.  If you're unsure , ask your employer.
    • If box 1 and box 3 are the same does this mean they are already taxed and cannot be deducted?
    No, it would mean they're paid after tax and are deductible.
    • So am I to understand if Box 1 and Box 3 on my W2 are the same amount in each box, than it means that I can deduct what I paid for my employer sponsored health insurance premiums. My W2 shows the same dollar amount in Box1 and Box 3. I pulled my last Wage Statement from 2011 and it shows Pre-Tax Deductions than my medical plans. This end of year wage statements total earnings show 48,000 with 8000 paid to medical insurance premiums of that 48,000. My W2 only shows a taxable income of 40,000. I am very confused. Please help. I am confused because the above clarification of the question indicated that YES you can deduct your premiums IF box 1 and 3 are the same. Thanks so much!
    The amount showing in box 1 reflects your taxable income after health ins and other cafe items are subtracted. Since this has already reduced your income directly you cannot deduct them again. Box 3 and 5 are higher since 401K, simple plans,etc are added back in for ss and medicare calculations.
    • My premiums are deducted from my check also but the difference from box 1 and box 5 only reflect the amount going towards my 457. Does this mean I can claim my health insurance premiums?
    No, it means you should check with oyur employer to be certain
      You need to speak to your employer.  If these were pretax payments, your gross income should be lower than your box 3 income usually, and csrtainly lower than Box 5
        On my W2, boxes 1,3, and 5 were the same amount, but I know my employer took out the health premiums before tax (this means I didn't pay taxes on my health premiums so no chance in me getting refunded which means I can't claim the health premiums).  

Reason is, in box 14, I have a description for CAFE OT which is a cafeteria plan my employer offers.  This is pretty typical for most employers.  Another thing you can't claim is the FSA since that is also pre-tax.  You should be able to add the amount(s) you paid in box 14 with the amount in box 1 to get your gross income.

I'm no tax expert, just giving what info I know.
          Medical insurance premiums are not only exempt from income tax but from Social Security and Medicare taxes as well. Consequently these premiums will not be included in either boxes 1, 3 or 5.

So you need to check with your employer to make sure they are pre-tax or not.