How many of you filed form 8379 with your tax return? How may of you were not made aware by Turbo Tax that a delay in your refund would result in filing the injured spouse form? Iwill never use Turbo Tax again.

Dear leah73b:

Filing Form 8379, Injured Spouse Relief, always delays the processing of any tax return (and consequently the speed of receiving any tax refund), no matter how the return is filed, or what software program you use to prepare it -- or even if you file on paper the old-fashioned way, for that matter.  This is an IRS issue, not a TurboTax problem.

If you wish to believe that it is, then you are absolutely entitled to that opinion.  You would just be incorrect, that's all.

Please read the actual IRS Form 8379 instructions here:

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8379.pdf

The wording on Page #1, Column #3 (Time Needed To Process Form 8379) will confirm the expected IRS processing timeframe; the language is very clear.

Regards
    • Thank You for your response.  However I asked if anyone else had this problem with TURBO TAX.  I am well aware of the IRS WEBSITE!  I would like for the software I purchased, TURBO TAX, to acknowledge that its program should be updated to include this information when an e-file occurs. Perhaps they should fix the gliches with their program instead of pushing a worthless card (GIMMICK's for people to believe how fast they will get a refund with Turbo Tax).
    Dear leah73b:

If you have an Intuit (TurboTax) product complaint, I would respectfully suggest that you make a complaint directly to the company itself.  This user-supported forum is primarily for the answering of actual income tax questions.  You may contact TurboTax customer support via the following link, and submit your complaint there:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp

Thank you for your attention.

Regards
      To answer the question - I had the same issue happen to me. Turbo Tax is supposed to guide us through the process. I was mislead to believe that filing the Form 8379 with my taxes would protect my refund from being used for my new husbands past debts. No mention at all of the time delay or that it doesn't help at all if you live in California. After getting notified by the California FTB that my entire refund was applied to his past debt, I went to the IRS site only to find the information that Turbo Tax neglected to share. Now I sit and wait to see just how much of my Federal return I will see.   and wait.... and wait.... and wait....  I never would have filed a Joint return if I didn't have the false sense of security that Turbo Tax gave me with their "step-by-step guidance" to filing a Form 8379. The entire tax refund was from my income not a penny of it was from my husbands. He has unfortunately suffered along with many others in California from being unemployed. Now thanks to TurboTax we have lost over $2000 of my State refund and possibly even more of the additional $5000 that I was expecting for my Federal refund.
        TurboTax has absolutely nothing to do with any agency taking your refund.  You lost your refund because one of you owed money, period.  tiling the 8379 can help reduce the amount taken from your refund, but if the IRS or the state disagrees with your responsibility for the debt they will ,of course,take the refund.
        • I am beyound furious that I wasn't made aware that filing the 8379 form would delay my tax return. After I submitted my return on Feb. 1st I checked the 'Where's my refund" which stated that I would have my refund on Feb. 15th. Well Feb 15th came and went. I checked "Where's my refund" once again only to be told that there is a delay in my tax return and to call a specific number with a reference number provided. After waiting on hold for an hour and half I was told that it will take 11 WEEKS to process my return. I was angry, upset and very frustrated that when I started to file 8379 that there wasn't a WARNING or FOR YOR INFORMATION NOTICE attached to the form informing me that when I file this return it will delay your refund to up to 11 weeks. Needless to say I am still waiting for my return. For this I do blame the turbotax site. They state step by step with full information however it lacked that very important detail. For those who have filed this form I wish you luck and pray you will receive yours faster than I.