TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

Foreign Earned Income (form 2555) & Exclusions

I moved from US to Singapore on June 28, 2011.
When I use Turbo Tax to enter data for Foreign Income credit, the software advises me to file an extension as I will only meet the IRS "Physical Presence" test by June 2012.

First Question I have is: Will I have to file the extension manually (form 4868) or will Turbo Tax do that for me?
Can I then log in to Turbo Tax in June and file my return?

Another question: Because I do not meet the "physical presence" test at the moment, the software will not allow me to enter all the details for form 2555 (foreign earned income). For example I can;t enter the credit for foreign hosing rental expense.  If I Change the dates so that I meet the physical presence test, it allows me to  enter all the data, but of course the dates are wrong.

Last question: If I file an extension for Federal, how do I file my part-year NY state taxes using Turbo Tax? It seems I have to file federal first?

Thanks in advance,
    Here are the instructions for filing for an extension:

    You also need to be aware that you cannot efile your return with a foreign address
      There are special rules for people establishing residence in the US. Are you a US citizen/permanent resident or what is your visa status?
      Are you married?
      • Hi,
        I am a citizen (US) and I'm unmarried.
      Yes, you need to wait to file your return until you meet the physical presence test.
      You can use Turbotax to file your extension.

      For the state return you need to determine if NY still considers you a resident even if you moved abroad. If you still ave ties to New York (bank account/drivers license/home) and/or plan to move back there, you might still be a resident.
      You can file for an extension for NY as well.
      • Thank you. It was unclear to me as to how to file an extension using Turbo Tax Premier. After entering all the data, and checking the option to file an extension, the final e-file screen does not show that the software will file an extension - it appears as if the software will e-file my taxes.  
        Perhaps I need to file an extension separately using different software? After your response, I searched TurboTax website, and I pointed  to http://turbotax.intuit.com/irs-tax-extensions/
        It appears that filing an extension via turbo tax is only available in March, and it also appears that that is a separate service and not a part of TurboTax premier.
        Thanks for you help.
      Contribute an answer

      People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

      1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
      2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
      3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
      4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
      5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

      Similar questions other people found helpful: