Foreign Earned Income (form 2555) & Exclusions

I moved from US to Singapore on June 28, 2011.
When I use Turbo Tax to enter data for Foreign Income credit, the software advises me to file an extension as I will only meet the IRS "Physical Presence" test by June 2012.

First Question I have is: Will I have to file the extension manually (form 4868) or will Turbo Tax do that for me?
Can I then log in to Turbo Tax in June and file my return?

Another question: Because I do not meet the "physical presence" test at the moment, the software will not allow me to enter all the details for form 2555 (foreign earned income). For example I can;t enter the credit for foreign hosing rental expense.  If I Change the dates so that I meet the physical presence test, it allows me to  enter all the data, but of course the dates are wrong.

Last question: If I file an extension for Federal, how do I file my part-year NY state taxes using Turbo Tax? It seems I have to file federal first?

Thanks in advance,

1 person found this helpful

Here are the instructions for filing for an extension:

You also need to be aware that you cannot efile your return with a foreign address
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
2 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community