TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

why does my 1098 box 4 not show my PMI

I pay PMI insurance every month but I have no total in box 4 on my 1098
    This question can only be definitively answered by the bank or mortgage lender that issued you the 1098.
    • I share the same issue with Wells Fargo.  My PMI isn't listed either in box 4.  I called them today & they did not have an answer for me.  They advised me to ask a tax pro.  So if someone can help answer, that would be greatly appreciated.

Per an IRS update to the 1098 printing and filing instructions.  MIP must be reported into the blank Box 4.  Ask your loan processor to read the updated IRS rules and re-send your 1098 form.  If they don’t fix it, your MIP will not get reported to the IRS and you risk being flagged as an under reporter and you don’t want to deal with that.

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Recent-Development-Mortgage-Insurance-Premiums-Reporting-and-Form-1098-for-Tax-Year-2012

Generally, if there's no amount in Box 4 that means your PMI is not tax deductible. It's so rare that it's not deductible, you need to question this with the issuer, and have them prove it's not deductible. Sounds to me like someone at the bank is just plain lazy. You may need to make them do that dirty, filthly, unspeakable four letter word - WORK.
        It wasn't listed on mine either (Wells Fargo). From what I understand, it wasn't supposed to be extended in the fiscal cliff deal, but was. I assume that the banks printed up the 1098 without it listed before the decisions were made. I received my 1098 the first week of  Jan. I called the bank and got the numbers and imputed that way. It is totally tax deductible.

Similar questions other people found helpful: