What is the minimum income requirement to file federal taxes?

  • It depends on the type of income, filing status, age and dependency. Tell us these things and we'll tell you whether you need to file or not or you can look in the 1040 Instructions on p. 7. Here is a link: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf
  • We claim my son as a dependent.  He is 19 having graduated high school last June.  He moved in August to attend a community college near his Dad.  He took a part time job in December and attended college full time last fall.  He only worked a couple of weeks in December so I was thinking he didn't need to file.  Although he received financial aid to attend college last fall so I'm not sure if that changes anything??
If he was paid on a W-2, he can make up to $5700 before having to file a tax return. The limit is $400 for 1099-MISC income. If his financial aid exceeded his qualified education expenses, the excess amount may be taxable but he might still be below the income limit.
    Use the analyzer at
    Review the list of questions
    Minimum, if self-employed is net self-employment income of $400.

    Start by checking the No link at the bottom

    Do You Need to File a Federal Income Tax Return?  
    For tax year 2007 only, many taxpayers who would not normally need to file a federal income tax return will need to file one in order to ensure that they receive an Economic Stimulus Payment (commonly referred to as "rebate"). If in 2007 you were not required to file based on the amount of your income but the combined amount of your earned income plus Social Security, Railroad Retirement benefits and certain benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs is $3,000 or more, you should review the information on receiving an Economic Stimulus Payment.

    Many people will file a 2010 Federal income tax return even though the income on the return was below the filing requirement. The questions below will help you determine if you need to file a Federal Income Tax return or if you need to stop your withholding so you will not have to file an unnecessary return in the future.

    The Internal Revenue Service is providing this information as a part of our customer service and outreach efforts to Reduce Taxpayer Burden and Processing Costs. Changing your withholding and/or not filing Unnecessary Returns will save both you and the government time and money.

    Even if you do not have to file a return, you should file one to get a refund of any Federal Income Tax withheld.

    To determine if you need to file a Federal Income Tax return for 2010 answer the following questions:

    Occasionally, individuals have one-time or infrequent financial transactions that may require them to file a Federal Income Tax return. Do any of the following examples apply to you?

    Did you have Federal taxes withheld from your pension and wages for this tax year and wish to get a refund back?
    Are you entitled to the Earned Income Tax Credit or did you receive Advance Earned Income Credit for this tax year?
    Were you self-employed with earnings of more than $400.00?
    Did you sell your home?
    Will you owe any special tax on a qualified retirement plan (including an individual retirement account (IRA) or medical savings account (MSA)? You may owe tax if you:

    Received an early distribution from a qualified plan
    Made excess contributions to your IRA or MSA
    Were born before July 1, 1939, and you did not take the minimum required distribution from your qualified retirement plan.
    Received a distribution in the excess of $160,000 from a qualified retirement plan.
    Will you owe social security and Medicare tax on tips you did not report to your employer?
    Will you owe uncollected social security and Medicare or Railroad retirement (RRTA) tax on tips you reported to your employer?
    Will you be subject to Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT)? (The tax law gives special treatment to some kinds of income and allows special deductions and credit for some kinds of expenses.)
    Will you owe recapture tax?
    Are you a church employee with income in wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security or Medicare taxes?
    Do one or more of the preceding situations apply to your filing requirements?

    Yes | No
      Contribute an answer

      People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

      1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
      2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
      3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
      4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
      5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.