This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

what medical/travel expenses can I deduct when my wife had emergency surgery in Nebraska and I drove there to take care of her?

- cost of trip to/from Nebraska from Ohio
- cost of apartment during stay (she was in hospital for 10 days, rehab for 7 weeks)
- cost of food, etc.
- mileage for trip back to Nebraska to take her home
- loss wages (had to take 1 week of unpaid vacation)
    I don't believe you would have a deduction. The IRS has several comments on deducting medical expenses to visit a patient.  These include
    --- Transportation expenses of a parent who must go with a child who needs medical care,
    --- Transportation expenses of a nurse or other person who can give injections, medications, or other treatment required by a patient who is traveling to get medical care and is unable to travel alone, and
    --- Transportation expenses for regular visits to see a mentally ill dependent, if these visits are recommended as a part of treatment.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p502/ar02.html

None of these, however, include travel costs to visit an adult patient, travel expenses to provide custodial care to an adult patient, travel expenses of someone other than a nurse who provides medical care, or travel other than with a patient who is unable to travel alone.