TurboTax AnswerXchange Home Page

1099-B cost basis not reported to IRS

I am very confused over how to report on my 1099-B. I have been held up on these 1099's for two weeks which has prevented me to complete my taxes. Can you answer the following:There are items listed as Cost basis reported to IRS and Not Reported to IRS do I need to report on both?  Many of stocks listed are fractional shares such as 0.016 and it seems to be confusing your system. Should I bother to enter less than a fractional share amount even though it some say cost basis is reported to IRS? Please help. Thank you.
  • why some cost bases are reported to IRS and some are not? My financial institution has the cost bases for everything.
1.  Yes, you need to report both (cost basis reported and cost basis not reported).
2.  Yes, you should report the very small fractional share amounts - it is not the shares that matter, but the dollar amount on each transaction that the IRS is concerned about - what you paid for the shares and what you sold them for.

Similar questions other people found helpful: