I am a minister with a housing allowance in box 14 on my W-2. Why is turbotax adding the housing allowance to line 7 on Form 1040? I thought the housing allowance was not considered part of my taxable income.

2 people found this helpful

Employers use Box 14 to enter many different types of information and TurboTax may not recognize your entry in this box. I suggest you review your entries for the W-2 and look for this specific information:

1. When you enter your Box 14 amount, TurboTax asks you to select a type of entry for this box. Although I don't know what the description says on your actual W-2 for housing allowance, select "Other - not on list below".
2, Then as you continue to enter your W-2 information, there is a screen that asks if Any of These Apply to This W-2. On this screen, there is a box for "I earned this income for religious employment". If you check that box, you will then see additional screens that allow you to enter your housing allowance and you can indicate whether the wages and/or housing allowance are subject to self-employment tax. If you didn't see these screens, I suggest you review your entries for the W-2 and check the box about earning this income for religious employment.
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
TurboTax TaxPro
2 additional answers

No answers have been posted

More Actions

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community