Can I E-file my tax return along with the W7 form?

I'm a US citizen. I married a foreign national (with a visa) here in the US in 2011. I would like to file my taxes as married, filing jointly.

I've read that in order to obtain an ITIN for my wife, I will need to submit the W7 along with my 1040 and send it to the IRS office in Austin, TX.

I have previously used TurboTax to e-file my tax returns. Is there any way to e-file my tax return in my current situation?
    Again, you cannot efile a return that includes Form W-7 requesting an ITIN.  The W-7 must be attached to the front of your joint return and mailed to the IRS in Austin, TX.  See the instructions to Form W-7 for full information:  http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw7.pdf   If you try efiling without a SSN or ITIN for your spouse, your return will be rejected.
    • I am a US citizen got married last year and my husband is not US citizen or alien.  We now both live in out of country in Asia.  I checked my Foreign Earned Credits and does not qualify to file tax but do have rental income which barely covers the mortgage. My husband has his own business. I am confused how to file tax.
    No.  Because of the W-7 issue, you must manually file your return on paper by mail.
      Also note that if your spouse is a non-resident alien, you need to add a statement to your return that you both choose to treat the non-resident alien as a resident alien. Otherwise, you would not be allowed to file jointly.
      • I have the same situation. My wife is a non-immigrant, and not a US citizen. Im trying to file jointly, is that possible? if yes, do I stop doing the efile but by mail? if yes, how? or do i continue with efile, but mail the w7 form later? what about the amount i will be receiving, without this w-7 inserted?