I chose the deluxe edition to do my taxes, however i want to use the free federal instead but it wont let me choose that. Is there a way to cancel the deluxe and go with free federal edition or do i have to create a new account?

I'm assuming you have not yet paid.  You have a couple of options.  You can "clear your return" and then abandon that account, and start a new one.  But you must use a new User ID.  With a new user ID, that new account will NOT transfer any 2010 information (if applicable) into your new return.

If you used a paid TT Online last year, and your 2010 info transferred into your current online Deluxe product, if you want to keep that 2010 info, you will need to contact Customer Support by PHONE or LIVE CHAT, and ask for a downgrade.   Read the steps below first, and that will help expedite things.

When you first get to the support link, you will not see the contact boxes for Phone or Live Chat.
Click on "Buying/Billing/Account", then choose "Questions about Charges".
Disregard the recommended answers.

Instead, scroll down the page a little bit and you will then see contact option boxes appear lower on the page, including ONLINE CHAT or CALL US, with approximate wait times. Choose the method you want.

Once you reach the support agent (either in Chat or Phone), tell the agent you'd like to apply for a downgrade.   They might decline the request for a downgrade to Free Edition, however, in which case you can start over with the new User ID..

Support is open 7 days a week;  hours 5 AM - 9 PM PST.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/support/contact/index.jsp

I hope this helps. Good luck!
    If you contact a Live associate through the expert help, they will send you a new code you will enter at the end of the return which will charger you your desired selection
    • Hey guys... I have a similar situation. I have searched and followed the guidelines listed in this thread and I have had ZERO luck contacting anyone. I have used TT since 05' and this is the first year i have had trouble. PLEASE assist. I just need to talk to someone about how I suddenly was changed to something that is costing me 100.00?? Thank you!!!
    • rosemondam:

Are you saying you went to the correct support site and never saw the CALL US or LIVE CHAT boxes?  
      What happened when you went through the steps?
      Did you use this method shown below?  :

I just tried, and wait times are "less than 5 minutes" at the time of this posting.  

When you first get to the support link shown below, you will not see the contact boxes for Phone or Live Chat.
      Disregard the recommended answers.

Once you reach the support agent (either in Chat or Phone), tell the agent what your problem is and that you'd like a downgrade.

Support is open 7 days a week; hours 5 AM - 9 PM PST.

• yea i atRTED THE DELUXE BUT CAN I CHANGE IT TO THE FREE ONE
    Addendum:

If you do decide to abandon that account and start over, you can clear out the data before abandoning the account.  Here's how to clear a return.  Be aware that all data is permanently lost if you choose to do it:

http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Home-Tab/Starting-Over-in-TurboTax-Online/GEN12216.html

.
      tina20122:

You could talk to Customer Support and see what they would do about it, but they may just tell you to start over in a different account with a new user ID.  I'm not sure if they would downgrade someone from a paid version to free.  They would probably allow you to downgrade to Basic which is 19.95 for federal, and 36.95 for states.

Your new account would have to have a  new User ID, which means that you can't have 2010 information flow into your 2011 return.

If you do decide to abandon that account and start over, be aware that there are TWO free versions.  The regular Free edition, and the more-fully featured Freedom Edition.

The Freedom Edition allows free federal prep and efiling, and free state prep and efiling for 22 states.  A state return for the remaining states would be $14.95.

You have to meet ONE of 3 qualifications to use it.  Read more about the Freedom Edition at:

http://www.taxfreedom.com

If you do decide to abandon your current account and start over, you can use the feature "clear your return" before you leave to erase all your data.  Once you do that, you cannot get it back.
      • Why should you have to abandon your account if you accidently clicked the deluxe version instead of the free version. It lets you upgrade but not downgrade that isn't good customer service.
      • the exact same thing happened to me . The second time I called for a live chat the girl understood exactly what happened.  I already paid for the free editon the state part, and the federal was free. and I had clicked delux afterwards not knowing, and hadnt Efiled already. So she had me on the phone for a good 45 mind and finally gave me a code to finishe my taxes and I could finally E-file without paying again. They wanted me to pay a extra $36 or something. But its all cleared up now. She was helpful after I was stressin off this for a day.