Carryover capital losses for short-term losses

I traced carryover losses and carryover loss worksheet  back in 2009 and 2008 (when I used TT).

1.  Is carryover capital losses for both long term and short term losses or only for short term losses?
2. It looks like on the 2008 tax form the carryover worksheet for 2009 that there were significant short term losses, 0 long term losses, and then in the following year in 2009 tax form, there were no carryover losses.
3. What happened to the short terms losses? I do just lose the ability to apply short term losses in the future and it’s ONLY long term losses that are carried over or is this a mistake and I need to amend it?

Does TT automatically handle the carryover losses for each year or is this something that needs to be done manually?
    1.   Carryover losses retain their character...so their are short-term and long-term loss carryovers.  Part 1 of Schedule D has a line for ST loss carryovers and Part 2 of Schedule D has a line for LT loss carryovers.

2.  It sounds like from what you saying that IF your 2008 short-term losses were carried over to 2009 Schedule D, Part 1, that they got used up that year if you do not see them coming forward to 2010.  You need to make sure the 2008 ST losses carryforward to 2009.  If not, that is your first glitch.   If 2008 had a major ST loss carryover and then after 2009 there were no ST loss carryovers to 2009, then either they were fully used against ST GAINS in 2009 or they did not roll over properly.

3.  Sounds like a problem since both losses carry over unitl they are used up against gains or until the annual $3,000 loss is used up.

4.  TT normally carries foward the ST and LT losses from year to year.
    • Thanks.
      I guess maybe I don't know where to look to see what my short-term and long-term gains were for 2009, 2010 to see if the short-term losses were used up or a mistake was made.
      1. Where do I look on Schedule D to see (a) short-term and long-term gains for year, losses for year, and application of carryover losses against gains?
      2. IF there was a glitch, do I fix it by amending my taxes for 2009 and 2010 and can that wait until after I finish this year's taxes?