How do I report real estate tax form 1098 for home purchased?

I purchased a new home in june 2011.  The prior owners paid real estate taxes annually.  The settlement statement listed a 50 - 50 split but the 1098 we received had the whole years worth on it.  Do I use the settlement statement or the 1098 form to determine the tax?
    You want to deduct the amount of real estate tax you actually paid -- if the Settlement Statement correctly reflects the taxes you paid, then use that.

If you are using Deluxe or Premier, you can choose the Federal Taxes tab, click on the Deductions & Credits link, choose Explore on my own, and scroll down to "Your Home". Choose Mortgage Interest and Property Taxes.  Turbo Tax will allow you input the amounts from your 1098 or settlement statement at these links.

I hope this helps!