My wife has no SSN or ITIN

Hi,
I really confused how to file my taxes. I am US resident and my wife is not US citizen or resident.She has never even been to the United States. I confuse how to file .If I file MFJ I will get much refund but I need to apply for ITIN for her. Is it possible to file jointly if your spouse never been to the United States ? Can I apply for ITIN for her?
    You can file now as MFS and later amend to MFJ after you get the ITIN for her or you can file MFJ and mail it in with the ITIN application

Here is a link to an article about - Nonresident Spouse Treated as a Resident
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=96370,00.html

Here is a link for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad  
    It has links to apply for ITIN or SSN
    http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/international/article/0,,id=97324,00.html
    • so, while printing the forms is it ok to leave SSN blank? Or some value needs to be entered?
    • No answer to leaving the SSN field blank???  Very important since you get an error on this and cant file your return..............................