do I have to have the 1098-t to file, or can I use my tuition statement to determine if I'm eligible?

I don't want to wait till my school sends out the 1098-t to file.
    Theoretically, yes, but there's a lot of information on Form 1099-T besides tuition that you may not have.  See http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=form%201098-t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CD8QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irs.gov%2Fpub%2Firs-pdf%2Ff1098t.pdf&ei=R8P9Tv6wEpSbtweNr43RBg&usg=AFQjCNG6yYOXwpraB_PcVAlXG7YQH8hqGA&cad=rja .  Incorrect information may result in a need to file an amended return.

Also note - the IRS isn't processing ANY returns until January 17, so why rush.  Some software developers such as TT will accept your return prior to that, but they merely "bank" the return for transmission on January 17.  Worse yet, if the information on your return turns about to be different than on Form 1098-T, you can't get it back from the "bank" to correct it.
    • very helpful information......thank you for taking the time to answer!