married filing separately living apart

My wife and I are filing separate. We have lived apart for the entire year. My wife owns property and maintains residency in another community property state. On the turbo tax screen when you select filing separate, it takes you to the next screen to check off that we were living separately for the entire year but it does not ask where my wife resides. On the community property worksheet it shows her state of residency to be in the state where I live and not the state where she lives. How can we correct this?
    MFS in a community property state can be challenging because of the complexity of it. Here is a link to our website that explains in detail what to do: http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/File-Electronically--current-year-/Married-Filing-Separate-in-Community-Property-States/GEN84066.html.

in summary: Begin by completing a Married Filing Separate tax return for both persons, as you'll need the amounts for different income categories, tax amounts, and all tax payments for each person. Remember, if one of you itemizes deductions both of you must itemize, or both must use the standard deduction.

Note that depending on how tax withholding payments are allocated between the two MFS returns in a community property state, the IRS may not accept e-filed MFS tax returns at this time. Allocate your withholding as required by your state's community property laws, but you may have to file a paper federal tax return.

See IRS Publication 555 Community Property. for further information.

Also keep this in mind: The program does not automatically support the community property reporting requirements for individuals who are married filing separately  See: http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/iq/Fed-Form-Availability/Calculations-not-Supported-by-TurboTax-for-Tax-Year-2011/GEN83848.html.

This is one area you dont want to mess up, so if I were you I would get some tax advice from a CPA. Turbotax has a Tax Advice department that can help you out.
    • I have a question similar to the original poster's. My husband and I are filing separately and will live in different states.  The community property worksheet shows his state of residency as mine.  His state of residency is entered correctly on his personal worksheet.  I am unable to override the state on the community property worksheet.  How can I correct this?