This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

capital loss carryover worksheet

I am confused about the instructions on completing the capital loss carryover worksheet.  I have a loss of 5000 which is a carryover from 2010.  I know I have a 3000 deduction for this year (2011) but it does not make sense on how I put this information on the form to get the 3000 for this year and to carryover the 2000 for next year.
    Instructions for filling out the form via the Forms mode:

If the $5,000 is a regular long-term captial loss carryover from last year you would enter it on the Federal Carryover Wks, line 13a, column 1; if is is a AMT LT carryover loss you would enter it on line 13b, column 1. If the carryover is a regualr short-term capital loss you would enter it on line 12a, column 1 and if a AMT short-term capital loss you would enter it on line 12b, column 1. Your carryover to 2012 should calculate in the 2011 column on that form.