Intuit request for payment

Intuit sent me an email stating that there were insufficient funds from my IRS return to cover the cost of my TurboTax Deluxe Online purchase.  Meanwhile, The IRS website says that my return was mailed by check despite the fact that I requested an electronic transfer.  The return is substantial - is it possible the IRS will not transfer funds over a certain amount electronically, and if so, Intuit cannot peel off the price of the software?
    If you elected to pay for the use of the software through offset from your refund, it is sent to a special Intuit/your bank account by the IRS.  There, the fee is remitted to Intuit, and the balance is sent to you.  The IRS does not send the fee directly to Intuit.  Why the IRS decided to send the refund by check is a question only the IRS would know the answer to.  However, if there is a direct payment to you by check, there is no opportunity for Intuit to collect their fee - hence the need to bill you.
    • Thanks BWA.  "Where's My Refund" says a "check" was mailed yesterday, so I'm taking the IRS literally.