This post has been closed and is not open for comments or answers.

I have a new PIN, but it keeps saying it can't confirm my identity. What do I do?

It says the IRS couldn't confirm my identity, and to get a new PIN. I did that, but it keeps saying it can't confirm my identity, even with the new PIN. What do I do?
  • DITTO, WHAT ELSE NEEDS TO BE DONE. BECAUSER THE IRS CODE ISNT WOKING ON THIS SYSTEM
  • SAME HERE......WHAT NEXT
  • I am having the same problem.  I called the IRS and got my pin but I was just notified that my return was rejected.  I got my pin again they gave me the same number.  What is the deal with the pin numbers not being valid?
  • Same here.... the IRS may be closed due to the holiday....going to try again tomorrow.
  • I DID THE SAME THIN IT KEEPS GIVING ME THE SAME PIN.  NEXT YEAR I THINK I WILL JUST MAIL IT I HAVE BEEN ON LINE FOR TWO DAYS TO DO THIS!!!!!!
  • im having the same proble whats the deal
  • I have the same problem...what should be done next?
  • from my understanding the system isnt ready yet although we get the new pin to use u will be rejected still because of this reason
  • Here too. It is so difficult to be patient on these returns.
  • dont have answer
  • me, too...keeps giving me last year's pin...guess i'll have to talk to a real person tomorrow...sigh
  • I am filing divorced head of household this year and the IRS is telling me that they can not id me with the Pin # provided. What do I do?
  • twelve
Instead of entering the PIN in the box provided, go to the "file a return" option at the top of the page, go thru the process of submitting the return again, and when you get to the electronic signature section, "EDIT" the pin and put the new pin in.....then resubmit it.  Then it takes 24-48 hours to be accepted or rejected.  BUT at least it's not rejecting it immediately.  Also, it may take a while for the new PIN to update in the system for turbotax to recognize it.
  • pin keeps getting rejected
  • have a new pin but is rejected my irs
  • Just rejected for 3rd time. Actually talked to someone at IRS and got new pin,  same deal.  IRS rep suggested using different company.  Am going to try one more time and guess I'll have to refile with someone else as TurboTax has been no help on this.  Don't use TurboTax, unless you pay they wont help you, might as well go to H&R Block and actually talk to someone if you are going to have to pay anyway.
  • I am having the same problem why is my pin not working?
  • That's what I'm considering, bren520. It keeps rejecting it and saying it needs last year's income, but it doesn't give a place to input it. From what I understand, unless you use the program offline and saved the prior year's income to your computer, you have no way to use TurboTax. This is nothing but a scam.
Hello,

There are two different places to enter your PIN in the program.  If you are using the same PIN as your 2009 return there is one option.  If you are using a new PIN from the IRS that you just received there is another option.  I've attached a screenshot showing the two different selections possible.  

http://screencast.com/t/opbljI11IPv1

You have your PIN from last year?  
In the screen shot for Taxpayer "Joe" we know is PIN from the prior year 2009 so we selected "We know Joe's 2009 e-filing PIN" and entered the Prior Year PIN there.  This is only if you know the PIN you used successfully on your 2009 return.

You just got a New PIN from the IRS (website or calling in)?
For the Taxpayer "Susie" we don't know her 2009 PIN, but did just get one from the IRS website, so we select "We don't know Susie's 2009 e-filing PIN and need a new one."  This is only if you lost or never had a PIN for 2009 and you just got a New PIN from the IRS website or by calling in.  

I hope this helps.  If you are still having trouble you can try the workaround in this article to attempt to get the PIN in the right box to have your return accepted.  http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/SLN12529
  • why it show they reject my income tax
I made the mistake of entering my PIN under the line:  "I know my last years PIN" and entered it. But it is a NEW PIN I got by calling the IRS #866-704-7388. And of course it rejected it. Then I entered it under the line:  "I do not remember my 2009 PIN and will provide a new one". If you did the same thing, go to the "File a Return" tab at the top left of the page. Chose E-file. Go to "edit PIN". Change selection for "I know it" to "I will provide a new PIN". Then submit it again. So far, no reject for us.
  • I HAVE A NEW PIN IT WAS REJECT
When you get a new pin you need to click "back" a couple times and then select Re-File blue button below. Then on the screen where you select to E-File again, it will have an Edit button next to the options for 2009 AGI/PIN. Click EDIT and select I DONT KNOW 2009 PIN. Then it will let you enter the new 2010 PIN and you can resubmit. I am still waiting for acceptance but at least I got passed that error. Hope this helps.
    fisty1
      I re submitted my federal returns today using the same PIN they gave me yesterday and they were accepted.  Try and re submit your returns and it should work.
        This can be frustrating. There are different boxes to add the NEW PIN. Here is some great information to help you. http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/SLN12645

You can get a pin from the IRS. Go to this IRS site to sign up.
        https://sa2.www4.irs.gov/irfof-efp/start.do

Or, if you have previously received a new PIN, entered it in the correct box and still been rejected, try calling and speaking with someone at the IRS to confirm the automated system has given you the correct PIN.  Call this number 1-800-829-1040, press 2, do not select 7, press 1 and then press 3, this will take you to an actual person.

Hope this helps!
          1
          • i like turbo tax
          • Um... SUPREMELY UNAMUSED!!!
            Earth to TurboTax:  When this many people, myself included, are all having the SAME problem -- It's time to consider getting it together and finding out what the issue is!!!
            I take back my former complement left after the completion of e-filing yesterday!!!
            You guys have a VERY serious problem on your hands -- figure it out! And QUICKLY Please!!!
          • They gave me and my wife a different pin, and we filed a joint application, and neither one works
          IRS Rejection Error 0679 or 0680: Prior-year AGI or PIN doesn't match IRS
          • I applied three days ago and they rejected it because of wife's pin, redid everything last night and she received a new pin, rejected today. Last year I filed head of household and had no problems, this year we file jointly and have had nothing but problems.
          • After numerous hours on the phone and countless rants and raves, I am DONE with this service! The issue with the PIN is and has been an ongoing problem with the TurboTax system for the past couple of years. It is amazing to me that the management of this company has failed(or just doesnt care) to address this issue. It is clearly evident by the number of comments on this matter that the "providers" of this service do not care about their customers. And please dont get me going on the blatant false advertising involving "no filing fees". I cannot belive that the IRS allows this company to do the taxes for the hardworking people of this country. But then again, we are talking about the IRS. The best answer to this dilemma is to take your taxes to a reputable tax professional.
          • what do I need to do to get my taxes filed? this is getting alittle agervating!
          • I have same problem. IRD says, "your pin is not mach"...
          barney456
          • I am getting very frustrated, I have re-entered my new pin for my husband and I over 6 times and it keeps being rejected ....  what is going on....  some people need there money like yesterday and this process is holding it all back
          cookie513
          • The IRS "correctly identified" me for 20 years before this issue...now all of a sudden my numbers don't work??? IRS is NOT to blame.....TURBOTAX IS. My resolution?? GO TO H&R Block before it's too late!!!!
          chico
          • Ya this is (content removed) i have gotten 2 diff pins from the IRS an have had my  taxes rejected 5 times have been trying to file since Jan 30th an have had 5 rejections (content removed)
          • i  got  my  in  number    and  it  still  say  they  cnt  identify   me  what  should  i  do
          • i have a new pin but i cant remember it
          • it keeps saying i have to enter my pin from last year but i dont have one from last year!!! what do i do?????
          • NEVER USING TURBO TAX EVER AGAIN!!!!
          • west
          • It will not take my pin it keeps rejecting our return
          • okay
          lovely110
          • im asking you for an answer on what i need to do now
          • I seem to be having this same problem. I'd love to wait a day or two, but I filed for my returns nearly three weeks ago. I owe a lot of money to a lot of people today and just now I get an e-mail saying i need a new IRS PIN. How convenient?
          log2
          • HOW CAN I FIX MY PIN ?
          • It still keeps rejecting us beacause of my pin.They say its not right
          • can you guys help me finish im having trouble
          • My refund keep getting rejected even though I have been given a new pin
          PUDDY12
          mamie rose clark
          • I entered the PIN numbers from last year but it said it cannot confirm our identity.  What do we do?
          12345
          • i KEEP ENTERING THE PIN AND IT STILL REJECTS IT,WHAT DO I DO?
          • same prob what do i do
          • I am having the same trouble, I just got off the phone with an irs rep, and put the same pin number, he said it was the first time dealing with this problem, I tried it again to put my pin# or agi amount......just keeps doing nothing and I have been dealing with this all weekend....does anybody know where to go from here?  I use turbotax filing electronically every year and I never have any problems..... any advice or solution, what do I need to do next?
          • So Frustrated!!!! Same thing is happening to me.. I had to get a new PIN cuz I have never had one before.. I entered it in and they got sent back and said I had to get a new one. I requested for a new PIN and it gave me the exact same number! So I entered it in and filed again.. I also have been doing this for the past few days and getting very frustrated! Hopefully they wont get sent back again this time! Also very frustrated with turbo tax this year!! When I first started to file it said it was free to file federal but you had to pay $30 to file state (I did the deluxe version) Then when it was all said and done.. They ended up charging me $67.. aparently I ALL THE SUDDEN had to pay to file my federal?? VERY VERY FRUSTRATED!!
          • ***************(Profanity removed)/////WASTE OF TIME!!!
          • same thing happening to me.Been on the phone for over an hour.Easier just to make them in,
          • We are filing married, joint return, it keeps saying it can't confirm my identity, I've got a pen for myself and my husband. Help !
          • what doi do, i got new pin, it keeps rejecting it?
          • i got a new pin still wont take it !!!!! helpppppppppppp
          • My taxes keep getting rejected for wrong pin#. I've called & gotten a new #, nothing works. What can I do besides mail them in?
          • I have a new pin number from the IRS and it keep's rejecting me. What do I do?
          • same thing here just got off the phone with the IRS and they gave me a new number. tried to use it and i am still getting rejected. i hae tried two new numbers....no good!!!!
          • Same thing is happening to me nad NOONE will help.
          • same problem with my pin # saying it can't confirm my identity
          • I HAVE A NEW PIN NUMBER AND IT NOT GOING THRUE THE KEEP SAYING THAT IT DON'T MATCH MY AGI AND WHERE CAN I FOUND IT ON MY 2009 TAXES AND HOW CAN I ACCESS IT ONLINE FROM HR BLOCK
          04040
          • i hate doing these (content removed) taxes
          • Same problem, it's been rejected everytime. I'm starting to think I wasted my money on turbotax. I can't get a refund if their software isn't allowing me to input the correct info.
          • I got a new PIN from the IRS and I still get rejected. I don't know what to do or who to call. Please HELP!!!!!!!!
          • I have filed 3 times , it kept comming back that the IRS could not identify me, I finally got ahold of someone and I was told to get a transcript of last years return, its now gonna be another 5 days before I can get this taken care of, I was given 3 differnt pin numbers, I am so frustrated I could just scream!!!
          This can be frustrating. There are different boxes to add the AGI or PIN or New PIN. Here is some great information to help you. http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/go/SLN12645

After you open your return again:
          1. Click on "Print & File,"
          2. Then choose "File a Return"
          3. Follow the steps until you get to the screen "Review your Federal Filing Choices"
          http://screencast.com/t/zcVKpNLUdhc
          4. Click "Edit" next to the row about "Identifying Information"
          5. Follow the steps to choose to Enter AGI or PIN.
          • I just went through this a 2nd time after using the link and then the turbo tax "fix" button in the email sent about the error the 1st time; entering my husbands again and refiling and getting rejected again. This time when I clicked fix I went an EXTRA step and clicked on FILE RETURN all the way to the left top of the tab it was one and clicked the edit there. I discovered there it had my husband's new pin as BOTH our pins. So I called and got a new pin for myself (I previously had my old and entered his new) and made sure they were both there and correct and resubmitted. I'm hoping it works this time; but I'm thinking this may be the ticket. Make sure you BOTH have new pins if filing joint and make sure you got back farther than the FIX takes you to correct it.
          • taxslayer.com   :-)
          • I got a new pin from the irs yesterday and it rejected again. what do i do
          • Icalled for a new pin on Febuary 28,2011 and he gave me this number 21455
          • i dont konw