I surrendered life insurance policies. Is the Cash value paid to me taxable?

I had three whole life insurance policies.  I surrendered them.  Is the cash value paid to me considered taxable income?  The amount is less than the premiums paid.
    If you cash in a life insurance policy you may have taxable income.  The taxable income would be -

--- the cash surrender value that you received, minus
    --- premiums paid over the life of the policy.  On a mutual policy, premiums are net of participating dividends.

Generally, this only results in income on older policies.  Your insurance company should send you a Form 1099-R for the income to report.
    Judy - you should have received a Form 1099-R which is entered under the wages and income tab for pensions.
    • We surrendered two old policies and never received a 1099. Do we go by the fact the insurance company didn'r send one as there is no tax due/reported to the IRS?
    MPDSR - I would contact the insurance company to verify that first, especially if they were old policies.
    • We also surrendered life insurance policies. We did not receive any 1099. When I called the insurance co they told me there was no gain on the policies so therefore no taxes.
    I received 21,560.50, per the 1099R form I only have 8,150.63 that is taxable