wrong ein

I accidentally entered my employers state I.d. # instead of the EIN.. WILL THIS DELAY my federal return?
    No it will most likely not delay it. Your return would be rejected if you put in YOUR social security number wrong, or dependent or spouses social security number (if applicable) wrong. The software itself, tries to catch invalid EIN's when you actually input your W2 information, and won't even let you continue on to the next screen if the number is an invalid number, even if the number isn't your employers EIN, if the TurboTax software will still let you continue if it has that number in it's system as a valid number. In other words, if your employer was a company called Number's Inc, and the EIN was say 123456789, and you input 234567890, it doesn't matter that the incorrect EIN you input is incorrect, as long as that number is a valid EIN for ANY company thats listed in the EIN database, otherwise you can't even get to the point where you'd even be able to finish inputing the W2 information in the Turbo Tax software.

Hope that makes sense.

Now with the IRS, from experience, the IRS will process the return, even with the wrong EIN, as long as you filed before your employer reports the W2 information to them. Typically, employers pay taxes quarterly, then report W2 information in late feb to early april. RARELY do they report the info in Jan, so as long as you filed before them your usually good. The only reason I know, is last year I filed with a job I had worked at 10 years ago, was away a few years and went back. Out of habit, when I filed, I used the EIN they had when I worked 10 years prior, when in fact, 3 years ago the business was sold and the company obtained a different EIN. However, everything was processed without delay. Filed the first possible week, accepted the first day the irs opened efiling, and direct deposited the first day of the cycle chart. So hopefully, that eases your fears and hopefully the policy doesn't change.
      Yes U will have to refile after you return is rejected