how long does it take to receive your refund once accepted by the IRS?

How  long will I have to wait for my State  Refund???
  • varies state to state for state refund check your states web site, for fed, well we're all waiting...
STATE RETURNS: This will vary based on your state, I can tell you that I filed my Federal 1/28/2012, accepted 1/28/2012 and still NO Federal return. I did however receive my return from the State of Indiana a week ago.  Hope the information I have posted for you below helps.  I am still waiting for mine and so are many people, please use the links below to keep an eye on your Federal Return and Important Updates from the IRS on why they are delayed this year.  Thanks

FEDERAL RETURNS:  Due to new security software put in place by the IRS a majority of the Federal Tax Returns filed for 2012 are being delayed.  This has nothing to do with Turbo Tax and in most cases people are seeing it take an additional 1-2 weeks for a return to be deposited after the acceptance date.

This means if you review the cycle chart identify the day your return was filed and accepted, look for the corresponding week that the return will be direct deposited or mailed out you would need to add 1-2 weeks additional time to that week.  Most individuals with delayed returns are seeing a standard message when attempting to check refund status via the IRS "Wheres My Refund" Feature.  I have listed a few links below that contain information regarding how to check your status and the delays sites and cycle charts from the IRS.  Hope this information is helpful to you.  Have a great week and hope you see your return soon!

New Updated Information by IRS as of 2/15/2012: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=254102,00.html
How quickly will taxpayers get refunds?  Following technology improvements, the IRS will issue refunds to more taxpayers in as few as 10 days this year. But taxpayers should keep in mind that many variables can affect the speed of a tax refund.

The IRS issues more than 90 percent of refunds within 21 days
Use the links below by copying and pasting into your internet browser for additional information regarding 2012 tax returns.  Thanks

Checking IRS Federal Returns Online (Where's My Refund):
http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=96596,00.html?portlet=8

**Once file they give you an approximate date, you will need to extend the direct deposit date or check mail date out at minimum 1-2 weeks for processing due to delays on Federal Govt IRS Side.

IRS efile Tax Refund Cycle Chart:     http://www.efile.com/tax-refund/where-is-my-refund/
Tax Return Transmission and   IRS Acceptance Dates

Tax Refund                                                Direct Bank Deposit by IRS                 Tax Refund Paper Check Mail Date
Jan 17 and Jan 18, 2012 (by 11am)          Jan 25, 2012                                          Jan 27, 2012

Jan 19 and Jan 25, 2012 (by 11am)          Feb 1, 2012                                            Feb 3, 2012

Jan 26 and Feb 1, 2012 (by 11am)            Feb 8, 2012                                             Feb 10, 2012

Feb 2 and Feb 8, 2012 (by 11am)             Feb 15, 2012                                         Feb 17, 2012

Feb 9 and Feb 15, 2012 (by 11am)           Feb 22, 2012                                         Feb 24, 2012

Feb 16 and Feb 22, 2012 (by 11am)          Feb 29, 2012                                        Mar 2, 2012

Feb 23 and Feb 29, 2012 (by 11am)          Mar 7, 2012                                           Mar 9, 2012

Mar 1 and Mar 7, 2012 (by 11am)             Mar 14, 2012                                         Mar 16, 2012

Frequent Questions & Answers Posted on the IRS Website: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=254102,00.html
Why can’t the IRS tell me the exact date I will get my refund?
The IRS reminds taxpayers that refund time frames provided by the "Where's My Refund?" IRS2Go smartphone application (app) and tax providers are projected time frames and are subject to revision. Many different factors can affect the timing of the refund after the IRS receives the return for processing.
Also, keep in mind that the date “Where’s My Refund“ provides is the estimated date the IRS will issue the refund, not the date the taxpayer will get the refund. It may take up to five additional days for the financial institution to post the refund to your account, or for mail delivery.

Why did my refund date on “Where's My Refund”change?
Refund dates change in “Where’s My Refund” as a tax return moves through IRS processing. A date change is not a sign of a problem for a person’s tax return. No action is needed by the taxpayer, unless “Where’s My Refund” specifically indicates that an action is needed.

The estimated refund date initially provided via “Where's My Refund” is just that, an estimate based on a best-case scenario in which the tax return was filed accurately and there are no corrections or reviews required. However, there are many factors that could affect the processing of a taxpayer's return that may also change the estimated date the refund will be issued. These could include:

The IRS balances customer service and tax compliance by reviewing tax returns to prevent fraudulent and erroneous refunds. These critical reviews could add time to refund processing, even for some legitimate returns.
The IRS may need time to fix a simple error, like a math error.

Refund timeframes can also be affected by such factors as bankruptcy, an open audit or a balance due on a related account such as a different tax year. If a tax return is affected by one of these factors or by an IRS processing system delay, “Where's My Refund” will generally provide updated information as that return is processed and/or an updated estimate as the actual refund date becomes more clear.

The date “Where’s My Refund” provided is different than the date my tax preparer or tax software provided. What should I do?
The IRS reminds taxpayers that refund time frames provided by “Where’s My Refund” and tax providers are projected time frames and are subject to change. Many different factors can affect the timing of the refund after the IRS receives the return for processing.

The IRS issues the vast majority of refunds in 21 days or less so even though the issue date provided to you may have changed, it’s very likely that your refund is on its way.
There is no need to call unless you get a specific message indicating that you should. If the IRS needs more information to process your return, they will contact you by mail. The telephone assistors do not process refunds and will not be able to provide additional information.

Will calling the IRS give me additional information or speed my refund?
No, calling the IRS won’t do anything to speed your refund. The IRS processes more than 140 million tax returns each year, and our telephone assistors are not the people who actually process tax returns.
The best option for taxpayers is to check “Where’s My Refund” or IRS2Go and remember the vast majority of tax refunds will be issued within 21 days.

More information about the refund process is available in our YouTube video, When Will I Get My Refund?, and an IRS fact sheet.

Is the estimated date provided by my tax preparer, tax software or “Where’s My Refund” a guarantee of when I will get my refund?
Unfortunately, the IRS cannot guarantee a taxpayer will get their refund on a certain date. While estimates are provided as the return is processed, the IRS emphasizes these are “best-case scenarios” where tax returns are filed accurately and no corrections or review are required.

What might cause a taxpayer's return to take longer to process?
Common errors can delay processing and extend refund timelines. Ensure your refund arrives as expected by submitting an error-free return. Use the correct Social Security or taxpayer identification numbers, address, and bank and routing numbers if electing direct deposit.

To balance taxpayer service, quick refunds and tax compliance, the IRS must review refunds to prevent fraudulent and erroneous refunds. These critical reviews can add time to refund processing, even for some legitimate tax returns.
The IRS also periodically adjusts its technology systems during the filing season, which can also factor into short refund delays.

What is the best way to file for an accurate return and a fast refund?
Using e-file with direct deposit remains the fastest option for taxpayers.

E-file remains the best way to ensure an error-free return. However, certain taxpayers, like those claiming the adoption credit, must file paper tax returns so that they can submit required documentation. Paper returns take longer to process.

Ensure your refund arrives as expected by submitting an error free return. Use the correct Social Security or taxpayer identification numbers, address, and bank and routing numbers if electing direct deposit.
What's the best way for taxpayers to check on the status of their refund?

You don’t need to call and wait on the telephone. The fastest and best way to check the status of your refund is through the “Where's My Refund” tool on IRS.gov and the IRS2Go smartphone app.

Generally, information about refund status is available about three days after the IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or four weeks after you mailed a paper return.

The IRS works hard to issue refunds as quickly as possible. But the IRS cautions taxpayers not to tie major financial decisions to the receipt of their tax refund by a specific date.

How does the IRS's Refund Cycle Chart used by tax professionals differ from general refund timelines?
The IRS Refund Cycle Chart is a tool provided to help tax professionals provide a best-case estimate when the IRS may issue a refund based on when the return is accepted by the IRS. The refund time frames provided by the Refund Cycle Chart are best-case estimates and subject to revision as many different factors can affect the timing of the refund after the IRS receives the return for processing.

The times listed on the Refund Cycle Chart are the best-case scenarios for refunds. These refund times routinely differ from those listed on Where’s My Refund and the IRS2Go smartphone app.

It's important to note that the chart is only for electronically filed returns, but it does show timelines for both direct deposit and mailed checks. The dates on the Refund Cycle Chart are the best-case estimate date the IRS will issue the refund, not the date the taxpayer will receive it. Also, remember many factors can extend refund receipt timelines, including IRS reviews, banking practices and speed of mail delivery.

****